Cody Cousino / For The Lantern Then-sophomore Braxton Miller evades the defense during a game against Michigan on Nov. 24, 2012, at Ohio Stadium. OSU won, 26-21.

Cody Cousino / For The Lantern
Then-sophomore Braxton Miller evades the defense during a game against Michigan on Nov. 24, 2012, at Ohio Stadium. OSU won, 26-21.

For the first time in Ohio State football history, eight individuals were chosen to serve as captains for the 2013 version of the Buckeyes.
Members of the eight-man leadership crew, along with coach Urban Meyer, addressed the media after practice Wednesday.

Senior backup quarterback Kenny Guiton was one of the eight chosen to lead OSU this season, and the news did not come as a surprise to team members, as Guiton received a large portion of his teammates’ votes.

“Most votes (were for) (senior offensive lineman Jack) Mewhort, second most was C.J. Barnett and then Kenny was not far behind, he was like third or fourth,” Meyer said.

Guiton said he was surprised to receive the honor, but not surprised that his teammates look up to him.

“I was surprised that I was a captain, but I’m really not surprised that I’m a leader,” Guiton said.

Meyer went on to express more accolades for his backup quarterback, saying “he’s an incredible kid; (his) parents need to be proud of that guy… I think he should be a coach, I really do, I’ve had that chat with him.”

Guiton was not the only gunslinger to be named captain, as junior starting quarterback Braxton Miller was also given the honor.

Miller said that he has “big shoes to fill,” left by previous OSU captains, but that he is ready to “take charge.”

With eight captains, this year’s Buckeye squad tops the previous high of six set in 2010.

Now that the captains have been named, the Buckeye players and coaches are ready to shift focus exclusively toward Saturday’s matchup against Buffalo. Meyer said it’s an incredible feeling to represent his home state and that there are a number of tasks to accomplish.

“The responsibility (is) you have to put a good team out there, and that’s really all our focus is,” Meyer said. “Yes it’s exciting and we’re fired up and all that. Every Friday night is a tough night to sleep. You just want to put a good product out there.”

Senior wide receiver Corey “Philly” Brown said this year’s team is a lot different from last year’s and has the potential to put up more points as a result.

“I feel like our tempo this year is so much more flawless, we’re so much more crisp on our assignments, we’ve got way more leaders and playmakers out there,” Brown said. “You’ll see a lot of points if we can execute and do what we do.”

The Buckeyes are scheduled to play Buffalo Saturday at noon in Ohio Stadium.