Kendrick Lamar is slated to perform at the Breakaway Music Festival Sept. 14 at Columbus Crew Stadium. Credit: Courtesy of Facebook

Kendrick Lamar is slated to perform at the Breakaway Music Festival Sept. 14 at Columbus Crew Stadium.
Credit: Courtesy of Facebook

Columbus has a lively, budding music scene, with dozens of places to hear live music that draw in a range of talented artists. Each month, The Lantern will highlight some of the best acts to come through the city. Stay tuned to see what we think is worth the ticket price.

Ke$ha – Aug. 27 at Lifestyle Communities Pavilion

This concert doesn’t technically fall during the month of September, but Ke$ha is the perfect act to end the summer with. She hasn’t performed in Columbus since 2011, and since then, fans have been craving to be doused in glitter and sweat from dancing along to the artist’s punchy pop songs. When Ke$ha’s “Warrior” tour touches down in Columbus, fans can expect a party.

Now that Ke$ha’s discography includes a third album, whereas she only had two under her belt during her previous “Get Sleazy” tour, there will be even more variety as to what she will perform on stage. With a mix of old favorites like “Blah Blah Blah,” “Animal” and “Blow” and new hits “Die Young,” “Warrior” and “C’Mon,” there’s even more reasons to check out the show. Ke$ha is a guilty pleasure for many, so don’t be afraid to throw on some over-the-top eye makeup or ripped stockings and unleash your inner glitter goddess next week.

The concert is scheduled to begin at 6:30 p.m. Tickets are available for $46.85 including fees through Ticketmaster.

Breakaway Music Festival – Sept. 14 at Columbus Crew Stadium

This festival is an all-day event featuring about 25 acts, including some that formed close to home. Local favorites Twenty One Pilots are among the headliners, which also include BASSNECTAR, Empire of the Sun, Kendrick Lamar and Juicy J.

This concert hits right when some students might be getting stuck in the slump of the semester and are ready for a pick-me-up. The lineup screams to the hearts of college students, as if it was tailor-made for them. Ticket-holders can feel good about attending the festival, too, as the festival’s official charity is the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Central Ohio.

The Breakaway Music Festival is scheduled to begin at noon. Tickets for the festival start at $51.55 including fees for general admission and can be purchased on Ticketmaster.

Blake Shelton – Sept. 20 at Nationwide

If you’re dying to see the CMA Entertainer of the Year in action, this will be your can’t-miss September concert. The “Ten Times Crazier” tour will likely live up to its name, as Shelton has never been shy to show his over-the-top personality, whether it’s while performing or while judging new talent on “The Voice.”

Shelton is great at pulling the country out of even those who are most reluctant to give the genre a listen. His music is just fun, and as the temperatures begin to dip a little lower, Shelton is sure to keep it hot with his hits “Honey Bee,” “God Gave Me You,” “Over” and “Hillbilly Bone.” Plus, he’s married to one of the most fearless, unstoppable women in the music industry, so who wouldn’t want to support Miranda Lambert’s beau?

Easton Corbin and Jana Kramer are also set to perform, and the show is scheduled to begin at 7:30 p.m. Tickets are available through Ticketmaster and begin at $31.55 with fees.

Vampire Weekend – Sept. 23 at Lifestyle Communities Pavilion

If my 16-year-old self could come to Columbus for a concert this semester, she’d want to see Vampire Weekend. That being said, the college version of myself is still thrilled this band will grace the big stage in Columbus this summer. Vampire Weekend is a largely under-appreciated band at least as far as the general public’s interest is concerned.

But this is a great band, especially one to see live. It’s sure to fill up the pavilion with its infectious, pop-indie sound, and since the band plays just generally positive music, most can attend the concert expecting to have a genuinely fun time. Dancing around to “Walcott,” “Cousins” and the rest of Vampire Weekend’s repertoire is the ideal way to spend an afternoon.

The concert is set to kick off at 6:30 p.m. Tickets are $42.85 and can be purchased through Ticketmaster.

Other shows to check out: 

El Ten Eleven (9/5); Queens of the Stone Age (9/15); Shovels & Rope (9/20); Kid Cudi (9/24).