1247876193

The Band Perry is slated to perform Aug. 22 for the 2013 Welcome Week Concert. Credit: Courtesy of MCT

Country music will greet Ohio State students to campus this year in the Ohio Union Activities Board’s annual Welcome Week concert.

The Band Perry, with special guest Charlie Worsham, is scheduled to perform at the 2013 Welcome Week Concert on Thursday.

OUAB announced news of the event Aug. 1, and the location of the event is still being finalized, said OUAB concerts chair DevinBettineschi in an email.

In past Welcome Week Concerts, OUAB featured Big Sean, 2Chainz and Krewella last year on South Oval, Smash Mouth andBoyz II Men performed in 2011 in front of the RPAC and Weezerplayed its set in 2010 on the South Oval.

Each year, the organization reveals hints via its Twitter account about the Welcome Week Concert artists, and this year was no different. Hints this year included puzzles of the words “saddle up” and “three’s a crowd.”

Bettineschi said The Band Perry and Worsham were chosen because “country music has not been featured as a Welcome Week show in several years,” and he believes both acts to be big names in the country music scene right now.

“OUAB pursued The Band Perry for this year’s Welcome Week Concert because they are one of the hottest bands in country music right now. Their single ‘Done.’ just reached No. 1 for country radio airplay last week,” Bettineschi said. “Charlie is going to be a big name in country music in the very near future, and OUAB has a record of bringing many great artists that go on to achieve major success.”

Zoe Yaffe, a first-year in psychology, agreed that a diverse set of genres should be featured.

“I think that it’s good to switch it up and give everyone something,” Yaffe said.

For first-year in exploration Anna Leatherman, the type of music isn’t relevant and said she would probably attend regardless.

“I don’t really have a preference of music, I think any kind of music is cool. If you don’t like it, it’s still fun to listen to,” she said. “I’ll probably go. I don’t think the band matters, I just think it’s good that they’re having something to bring everyone together.”

The Band Perry, made up of siblings Kimberly, Reid and Neil Perry, is a country trio from Greeneville, Tenn. The group released its self-titled, debut album in 2010 and is known for singles such as “If I Die Young” and “You Lie.” Its second studio album, “Pioneer,” was released in April.

The Band Perry has won three Country Music Association awards, two CMT Music awards and two Academy of Country Music awards, alongside Grammy, AMA, ACA, Billboard Music and Teen Choice award nominations.

Charlie Worsham is a Nashville, Tenn.-based country singer-songwriter. Worsham performed in the band KingBillybefore the group called it quits in 2012. Worsham is set to release his debut album on Aug. 20.

OUAB declined to disclose the budget for bringing these performers.

The Welcome Week Concert is free to students with a valid BuckID.