Shelby Lum / Photo editor Senior Danica Wu battles with a defender during a game against Eastern Michigan on Aug. 25, at Jesse Owens Memorial Stadium. OSU won, 2-1.

Shelby Lum / Photo editor
Senior Danica Wu battles with a defender during a game against Eastern Michigan on Aug. 25, at Jesse Owens Memorial Stadium. OSU won, 2-1.

Junior midfielder and co-captain Ellyn Gruber’s overtime goal against Eastern Michigan gave the Buckeyes a 2-1 victory. Her goal also keeps the team’s unbeaten regular season streak alive at 13, tying a women’s soccer team record set in 2004.

The Eagles took advantage of a free kick on the left side of the OSU box in the 31st minute, and Cara Cutaia scored her second goal of the season. Heading into the half, the Buckeyes trailed 1-0.

Coach Lori Walker said halftime adjustments changed the game.

“(We) went into a 3-4-3 and that gave us a little bit more possession in the midfield as well as a better defensive presence, and I think that’s where the game started to shift and change,” Walker said.

Freshman forward Lindsay Agnew tied the game at 1 in the 60th minute. Junior defender Ashley Gruenbaum played a long ball into the Eagles’ box and Agnew headed home the goal.

With a tie looming, play became more aggressive, indicative with the number of fouls increasing in the second half.

Regulation came to a close with the score remaining tied at 1.

It was less than nine minutes into overtime when Gruber sent home a rebound for her first goal of the season.

The midfielder thought her team did well in playing to the end.

“We struggled in the beginning, but we found a way to win,” Gruber said. “We pulled it out in the end.”

Agnew said she is looking forward to the possibility of keeping the team’s winning streak alive.

“I’m really excited about that and we hope Wednesday we can get it done against Pittsburgh,” Agnew said.

OSU is scheduled to take on Pittsburgh Wednesday at 7 p.m. in Columbus.