Home » Campus » More aid available to Ohio State veterans through new program

More aid available to Ohio State veterans through new program

Ohio State recently partnered with the Department of Veterans Affairs through the VetSuccess on Campus program in order to provide further assistance to military veterans who are making the transition to college life.

VetSuccess on Campus aims to help veterans, current service members and qualified dependents to succeed in completing their educations and getting jobs after graduation, according to the program’s website.

Some OSU students who are veterans said the program seems promising.

Fourth-year in criminal justice Kyle Smith said the new program will give veterans who are students more of an opportunity to have “face time” with college representatives of the military.

Smith, who is also a staff sergeant and crew chief in the United States Air Force, said although OSU has been helpful in general, the university could do more to assist veteran students.

“Vets 4 Vets was the only organization on campus that helped me and I wasn’t aware of its existence until I stumbled upon it myself,” Smith said. “Ohio State needs to do a better job of informing veterans about the programs and services that are available to them.”

OSU Vets 4 Vets is a student-run organization comprised mostly of military veterans who offer support to veterans in college. It works to provide the students with opportunities related to networking and community service, according to the organization’s website.

Vets 4 Vets President Samantha Allen, a fourth-year in environmental policy and a former United States Marine, welcomes OSU bringing in a like-minded organization.

Anything OSU does to help veterans complies with the mission statement of Vets 4 Vets, Allen said.

VetSuccess on Campus began in 2009 at the University of South Florida and is expected to have developed sites at 94 different campuses by the end of fiscal year 2013, according to its website.

The Department of Veterans Affairs has provided OSU with its own representative as it brings in VetSuccess on Campus, liaison Denise Bays-Napier.

Bays-Napier referred The Lantern to Mike Forrest, the director of Veterans Transition and Services at OSU, for comment.

Forrest said Bays-Napier is a full-time federal employee whose primary focus will be placed on providing veteran students with the resources they will need in order to succeed.

Bays-Napier will also be charged with assisting veteran students in attaining healthcare through the Department of Veterans Affairs, Forrest said.

1. she has done for nothing me Bays-Napier since she was a student inter at the VA provide nothing more as a is her way or no way .since i am veteran she got her job with help not on her own because i saw it happen .She needs to be held accountable for her failure as well as Columbus VA

2. mad as hell veteran

i have no nothing but hardship from this supposed person that care about veterans.She stole money from me has never done a anything for me period.She might have a college degree a master i believe in social work that someone she knows help her get her job at VA columbus three years is unaccountable has no more.When i saw here get her job thought a friend she said get me a job so i can do whatever i want because i know i will never get FIRED.She was WASTE ,FRAUD AND ABUSE OF POWER .If the columbus va is eeo she should have never been hired .She has been a pushing female dog since day one.i hope she goes to Fired JAIL for all her hate towards me for the 3 last years when that lazy lady has all my info in her pc but all she does it DEMAND you kiss her butt or you get nothing.one person inside va said she is SPOILED BRAT needs to be taught a lesson corruption failure to your job in military she wouldnt have lasted thought basic training they would have kicked her out the door as well as most of columbus va unaccountable no team all out from themselves .

3. DENISE BAY-NAPIAR

SHE STALKED ME FOR THREE YEARS ON THE JOB SO SHE WAS NEVER DOING HER JOB SHE HAS LICENCE TO STALK MENACE CALLED THE POLICE MADE FALSE STATEMENT IN COURTS CASE SUE FROM CRIMES THAT SHE WAS DOING DONE .SHES IS WORTH THE TIME SHE SHOULD BE IN FEDERAL PRISON FOR HER CRIMES OF LYING CHEAT BACK STAB STEAL MONEY TELLING DRS WHAT NOT TO GIVE ME HEALTH CARE AT THE VA INTILL I KISS ME BUTT SHE .SHE COULD GET THIS JOB ON HER OWN ALONG WITH TINA THAT WORKS OUT SHE NOTHING BUT A BULLY SHE HAS A FACKBOOK WITH WITH 10 COMMANDANTS BUT SHE ACTS IF SHE GOD ALONG WITH THE WHOLW REST OF COLUMBUS VA SHE GOT HER JOB WITH A HOOK SHE SHOULD BE SENT TO PRISON FOR YEARS SHE DOESNT GIVE DAMN ABOUT ANYTHING BUT HER SELF IF YOU READ THIS AND SHE IS PRIOR MILITARY OR NOT SHE SPENT 21 YEARS IN THE ARMY TOO .THIS AS ALL FACT .