Shelby Lum / Photo editor Columbus Crew midfielder Justin Meram makes a sliding tackle during a game against Toronto FC Aug. 17, at Crew Stadium. The Crew won, 2-0.

Shelby Lum / Photo editor
Columbus Crew midfielder Justin Meram makes a sliding tackle during a game against Toronto FC Aug. 17, at Crew Stadium. The Crew won, 2-0.

Dollar beers, dollar brats and discount tickets are being used to lure college students to Crew Stadium.

The Columbus Crew are hosting College Night Wednesday at 7:30 p.m., offering students with a valid college ID discounted tickets to the Crew’s match with the Houston Dynamo.

Unlike any previous College Night, students will be able to purchase a Homage T-shirt that reads “Massive University” along with a ticket to the match for $25.

“That is the first time we have done any sort of giveaway with the discounted ticket,” Sr. Group Account Executive Nick White said.

If students do not want the T-shirt they can opt to buy only the discounted ticket for $15.

Crew ticket associate Ryan Hart said the T-shirts are a rare opportunity.

“I’m pretty sure they (the T-shirts) are not sold in stores,” Hart said. “So the only way to get them is through the package.”

Students have the option of sitting in Nordecke, the official cheering section for The Crew, or in the upper sideline sections. White said College Night helps out college students as well as the team.

“This is another avenue for college kids… from all over the state to come see a game at a discounted rate,” White said. “These are the exact people we want in Nordecke.”

Caleb Williams, a third year in finance is a season ticket holder for The Crew. Williams said the atmosphere on college night is the same as a normal game for a good reason.

“It (college night) is not any different really,” Williams said. “The purpose is to show college kids the atmosphere on a normal night. A time to show what The Crew is all about.”

The Crew is currently in 8th place in the Eastern Conference, eight points behind the New England Revolution for the final playoff spot. They have eight games remaining, four of which are at home.

Wednesday’s match will be the first of the season for interim coach Brian Bliss after The Crew announced Monday they had parted ways with former coach Robert Warzycha.