A scene from Miley Cyrus’ music video for her song ‘Wrecking Ball.’ Credit: Courtesy of YouTube

A scene from Miley Cyrus’ music video for her song ‘Wrecking Ball.’
Credit: Courtesy of YouTube

Terry Richardson has been running the celebrity and fashion photography world these days. “Glee” star Lea Michele had a chance to vamp it up for him in “GQ” magazine without ruining her reputation. America’s leading lady Beyoncé was willing to bare it all at Richardson’s studio for GQ as well. He made Lady Gaga look sexy and chic in a meat bikini. His latest and greatest accomplishment: humanizing Miley Cyrus after her unworldly behavior and performance at the 2013 VMA’s.

Richardson directed the video for Cyrus’ new release “Wrecking Ball.”

The video begins with a tight-frame of a teary-eyed Cyrus. A shot like this is very reminiscent of Richardson’s past work and reminds us Cyrus is human. We all know the video for “We Can’t Stop” as a chaotic mix of teddy bears, strobe lights and twerking, and it’s anything but relatable. “Wrecking Ball” is almost nothing but Cyrus. The monochromatic background of concrete and metal is a stark contrast to the white of Cyrus’ undergarments and naked skin. It forces the audience to focus on her and the song.

After her recent television appearances, I was starting to lose hope for Cyrus ­— just as I began to lose hope for Lady Gaga the day she showed up to the 2010 VMA’s in a meat dress.

It took Gaga almost a year to win her way back into my heart with the raw, honest tracks on her 2011 album, “Born This Way.” Cyrus hasn’t even released her album, and she has managed to fall from grace and start a comeback. Cyrus’ nudity in “Wrecking Ball” doesn’t reflect her other attention-seeking risqué appearances of late. In this video, she bares it all in what seems to be an attempt to show vulnerability.

This song isn’t different from most breakup tracks, but it also tells the audience exactly how Cyrus feels. She is wrecked. Trying to put “Hannah Montana” behind her can’t be easy and, although twerking and making sexual gestures with a foam finger are not the best way to show the world you’ve grown up, you can’t blame the girl for trying.

I just wish she could keep her tongue in her mouth.