Home » A+E » Commentary: Lady Gaga: ‘Poker Face’ or two-faced?

Commentary: Lady Gaga: ‘Poker Face’ or two-faced?

Lady Gaga at the 52nd Annual Grammy Awards at the Staples Center in Los Angeles on Jan. 31, 2010. Credit: Courtesy of MCT

Lady Gaga at the 52nd Annual Grammy Awards at the Staples Center in Los Angeles on Jan. 31, 2010.
Credit: Courtesy of MCT

Being ordinary is overrated.

And apparently for Lady Gaga, being one person is overrated as well — or so I have come to believe.

Lady Gaga, whose real name is Stefani Joanne Angelina Germanotta, has become the flashing 21st century icon for oddities. Adorned with hats made of steaks, lightning bolt makeup and hair shades representative of the entire color spectrum, Lady Gaga is unlike most faces in pop culture.

But is it just one face?

As someone who is not only Photoshop savvy but also aware of the near infinite possibilities digital retouching has to offer, part of me still has to wonder if the Mother Monster herself isn’t getting a little more help than just photo manipulation.

We’ve seen them. Photo after photo of Lady Gaga, and nothing adds up. Her face doesn’t look the same, her nose doesn’t look the same and her hair really never looks the same.

Could it be Photoshop? Sure. But I’m also one to begin wondering, what if there is more than just one Lady Gaga?

What’s most concerning is her shifting facial structure, especially in her cheeks. In her “Poker Face” video, Gaga’s cheeks are more full, with a small button nose. Whereas in her “Just Dance” video, her chin looks smaller and her nose a slightly larger shape — and these were from the same exact album.

Post-production is one thing, but completely altering facial shapes is another.

Lady Gaga, you just don’t add up to me.

Fast forward to her “ARTPOP” promotional album cover. Let’s disregard the fact that the retouchers decided to put anatomy aside and create a photo that doesn’t make sense with her waist disappearing behind her arms to be seen again – nowhere. In the photo of her profile, her button nose is gone, replaced with a straight bridge.

Her makeup artists are either geniuses, or she can’t be a single person.

1. You do realize that it’s a statue on the cover of Artpop right? Like an actual statue of her. Created by Jeff Koons. Of course it doesn’t look real. And every artist looks different in everything they do. They get older, their weight goes up and down. No one looks the same all the time.

2. Right, KK? What a stupid article. Purely a waste of time!

3. You are really stupid. This is irresponsible journalism. And besides the obvious fact that the artpop cover is a sculpture, and that yes she has genius makeup artists, youre just dumb. Hahaa. But whatever helps you feel better about yourself and sleep at night darling

4. A very uneducated and biased article indeed, I couldn’t bear.

5. Ery’body in this thread is all sorts of angry. Top lel

6. If you repeat a lie often enough, it becomes the truth, right? the Democrats’ great accomplishment is producing the political equivalent of a Rodney King video, clearly demonstrating the lies of the right, the right Hilary Clinton correctly identified as a vast conspiracy. Confirm by examining Central District of California Cases, 01-4340, 03-9097, 08-5515, 10-5193, US Tax Court 12000-07L –though I think you want to view my US Tax Court Appeal to the 9th Circuit for a good account of their day to day assaults, a few month time slice indicative of a decade of assault, and, when it’s completed, 9th Circuit 11-56043.
    Typically operating through puppets–including puppets in the judiciary–the right wing has for decades been committing crimes and trying to classify them to cover them up, a move explicitly forbidden by the Code of Federal Regulations. They’ve killed several of my pets and routinely shoot energy weaponry at me and my pets, despite my calls to the police, the FBI, Congress, and despite my petitions in court.

7. Seriously? This article is sh*t. Uneducated, irresponsible mess…you should be fired.