Home » Campus » Crime Brief: Bicyclist hospitalized after nearly colliding with car

Crime Brief: Bicyclist hospitalized after nearly colliding with car

crimebrief

A bicyclist was in stable condition at the Wexner Medical Center as of Wednesday night after nearly colliding with a car.

A 39-year-old male graduate teaching associate in the College of Public Health at Ohio State was biking on Woody Hayes Drive Tuesday at about 9:30 a.m. when he almost collided with a compact car turning left onto the road. The driver of the car, a 53-year-old female OSU employee, was leaving Blankenship Hall and attempting to turn past two stopped buses when she saw the biker. Both parties slammed on their brakes, and the biker fell forward over his handlebars. No contact was made between the bike and the car, according to a University Police report.

Failure to yield on the part of the car’s driver was listed as a contributing circumstance on the report.

Witnesses helped the biker out of the road to a bench until emergency medical service arrived and transferred him to the Medical Center, the report said.

The biker was in stable condition as of Wednesday at about 10:15 p.m., according to a Medical Center nurse.

The incident was one of six traffic crashes reported on OSU’s campus this week from Oct. 9 to Oct. 16. The other five incidents involved property damage but no reported injuries.

Other incident reports on campus this week included 36 thefts. Five of these incidents were thefts of bicycles.

A 32-year-old male non-affiliate was arrested for attempted theft from the Scarlet Ribbon Gift Shop at the Medical Center Monday. The incident followed the arrest of a 33-year-old man for attempted theft from the same location last month.

There were also five reports of disorderly conduct on campus and five reports of offenses involving underage persons, three of which resulted in arrests, this week.

In the first incident resulting in arrest, a 20-year-old male not affiliated with OSU was arrested at Barrett House Saturday shortly after midnight.

Sunday, a 19-year-old male student was arrested at the Ohio Union at about 2 a.m. A few hours later, at about 4 a.m., an 18-year-old male non-affiliate and an 18-year-old male student were arrested at Siebert Hall.

1. remember: the solution to bike accidents is not riding through the Oval. because we can’t, y’konw, blame cars/drivers for things that are their fault. it must be the students’ fault…

2. You bike jerks have almost injured me numerous times plowing me down on sidewalks. You shouldn’t ride through the oval, or any pedestrian walk way.

3. Bikes should not ride on pedestrian walkways, agreed. Although, OSU’s solution to bicycle safety on campus is simple to “not ride a bike.” This is clear by there don’t ride on the oval or you’ll get a ticket insinuative. There hasn’t been any fatal or injuring accidents on the oval. These accidents ALWAYS occur via bike-car. There are been many cases RECENTLY that point to cars, pedestrians, and cyclists at fault for accidents in the STREET. OSU needs to do something about how bikes, cars, and pedestrians interact in the STREET. It is not ok for pedestrians to walk out into traffic (this includes bikes and cars) without looking. It is not ok for cyclists to ride their bikes in the street without regard for traffic laws. It is not ok for drivers to treat cyclists as if they are not in the roadway.

Bicycle safety at OSU is a joke. I almost get hit by cars, hit by jaywalkers, and hit by other stupid cyclists on a DAILY basis. Do something about the amount of traffic on the inner campus streets (possibly enforce the speed limit? Driving 50 on the woodyhayes bridge is NOT ok) and, JUST LIKE MAGIC, pedestrian-car and bicycle-car accidents will decrease. Act as if bicycle safety is a needed campaign and students will stop being idiots on bicycles. Teach the stupid pedestrians how to cross the street and you will be amazed at how many accidents will just disappear.

4. I’ve commuted to work by bike on Woody Hayes past Blankenship Hall nearly every day for more than five years so I know this location very well. You definitely need to always be aware of motor vehicles heading in and out of Blankenship. I’m glad the cyclist could stop and hope he recovers quickly and fully. I hope he was wearing a helmet.

Agree with Rob that we need more police presence to make sure drivers obey the speed limit on Woody Hayes. I do think there has been a bit of progress made re: bike safety on campus with the Share the Road program over the past year.

As to the first two comments, how did you contribute to a solution of the traffic issues on campus with those words? Same old drivers blaming cyclists blaming pedestrians. Boring!

5. Drivers and pedestrians blaming cyclists is not without merit, though. I’ve almost been hit inside of a crosswalk (legally crossing) numerous times by cyclists. I’ve also seen cyclists blatantly disregard road markings and signs, and in one instance, I saw a biker get hit by a car because they hopped onto the road without looking and without crossing at a crosswalk.

I’m sure most bikers are fine and follow rules, but the number of bikers I’ve seen either fail to stop at a stop sign or yield to pedestrians in a crosswalk is too dang high.