Shaun Richard is set to become OSU’s associate athletics director for sports administration. Credit: Courtesy of Colgate University Athletics

Shaun Richard is set to become OSU’s associate athletics director for sports administration.
Credit: Courtesy of Colgate University Athletics

The Ohio State Department of Athletics is getting a new face.

Shaun Richard has been named to the position of associate athletics director for sport administration, Miechelle Willis, executive associate athletics director for student services and sport administration, announced Tuesday.

Richard, a 2003 graduate of the Massachusetts College of Liberal Arts, will replace senior associate athletic director for sports administration Chris Schneider. Richard will directly oversee multiple OSU programs, including men’s and women’s hockey, according to a press release.

He is set to begin at his new position next week, OSU Department of Athletics spokeswoman Leann Parker said in email Tuesday night.

“I would like to thank athletics director Gene Smith, Miechelle Willis and the entire search committee for this amazing opportunity,” Richard said in a released statement. “It is both humbling and exciting to be part of the Ohio State family. I look forward to being a part of the continued success of the Ohio State athletic programs and working with the great coaching staffs and outstanding student-athletes who put on the Scarlet and Gray.”

Before coming to Columbus, Richard was named the assistant athletics director at Colgate University in November 2008. In July 2011, he was promoted to the position of associate athletics director and has served as the school’s associate director of external operations since July 12, 2012, according to the release.

“Shaun will be a great addition to our department,” Willis said, according to the release. “He has broad-based experience in athletics at many levels — as a coach, in the NFL and on the intercollegiate level … His service on a number of university and conference committees, and his experiences with external relations, were a plus.”

Prior to his time with the Colgate Raiders, Richard served as the operations manager of the Jason Taylor Foundation in Miami, Fla., in addition to the working for the operations department of the NFL’s Miami Dolphins.

The terms of Richard’s salary were not readily available upon request and Richard was not immediately available for comment Tuesday.