Senior running back Carlos Hyde (34) breaks a tackle during a game against Northwestern Oct. 5 at Ryan Field. OSU won, 40-30. Credit: Shelby Lum / Photo editor

Senior running back Carlos Hyde (34) breaks a tackle during a game against Northwestern Oct. 5 at Ryan Field. OSU won, 40-30.
Credit: Shelby Lum / Photo editor

Three members of the Ohio State football team claimed individual Big Ten player of the week honors for their performances in the Buckeyes’ 40-30 victory over then-No. 16 Northwestern.

The three players who earned honors after the Saturday game were redshirt-junior cornerback Bradley Roby, senior running back Carlos Hyde and freshman defensive lineman Joey Bosa.

Hyde was named co-offensive player of the week after he sliced through the Northwestern defense on his way to a career-high 168 rushing yards and three touchdowns on 26 carries. He also caught four passes for 38 yards. Hyde further collected 15 first downs — 12 on the ground and three through the air — and scored the go-ahead touchdown for the Buckeyes with just more than five minutes left.

“We didn’t run anything crazy, we stuck to our basic runs and our O-line was having success in our blocks and I was having success in the reads. They were just making it easy for me,” Hyde said after the game.

Roby earned special teams player of the week after recording seven tackles on the night, two of which came on special teams. He also blocked the second punt of his Buckeye career, recovering it in the Wildcat end zone for what was OSU’s only touchdown in the first half.

“They didn’t block me,” Roby said about the punt block. “I thought they were going to try to block me, but they didn’t, so I just went to go get it.”

Bosa had five tackles in the game and sacked Northwestern quarterbacks two times on his way to being named freshman of the week in the conference. He also scored his first career touchdown by recovering a fumble in the end zone on the game’s final play.

“They couldn’t really block us throughout that game, so we wanted to bring some heat,” Bosa said.

The conference honors mark the fourth week in a row that at least one Buckeye has made the list. Junior quarterback Braxton Miller and freshman punter Cameron Johnston were selected after the team’s win over Wisconsin Sept. 28, redshirt-senior quarterback Kenny Guiton received the nod after throwing for six touchdowns against Florida A&M Sept. 21 and also won it the week before along with junior linebacker Ryan Shazier after OSU beat California Sept. 14.

The Buckeyes are off this week but are scheduled to return home to take on Iowa Oct. 19 at Ohio Stadium.