Senior running back Carlos Hyde (34) pushes through Indiana defenders for his 1,000th rushing yard of the season. Hyde became the first running back under coach Urban Meyer to eclipse the 1,000-yard mark. Credit: Shelby Lum / Photo editor

Ohio State senior running back Carlos Hyde became the first running back to rush for 1,000 yards in a season under Urban Meyer in the second quarter of OSU’s game against Indiana Saturday.

Hyde went into the game against the Hoosiers needing just 53 yards to reach the milestone, which he gained on OSU’s sixth drive with a seven-yard run. He ran for 26 of those yards on the Buckeyes’ first drive, capping it with a 16-yard touchdown run.

The run to reach the milestone was Hyde’s 10th carry of the game and 130th carry of the season.

Hyde became the first OSU running back to rush for 1,000 yards in a season since Daniel “Boom” Herron rushed for 1,155 yards in 2010.

Overall, Hyde became the second OSU player to rush for 1,000 yards in a season with Meyer as head coach. The first to do so was quarterback Braxton Miller, who ran for 1,271 yards last season.

The Buckeyes hold a 28-0 lead at halftime against Indiana, after Hyde found the end zone for the second time with 37 seconds left in the second quarter. The senior ran for 71 yards on 12 carries in the first 30 minutes of play.