Home » A+E » Commentary: Adam Levine not fit for Sexiest Man Alive

Commentary: Adam Levine not fit for Sexiest Man Alive

Adam Levine performs with band- Maroon 5 during the 2011 Victoria’s Secret Fashion Show. Levine was recently named ‘People Magazine’s’ 2013 Sexiest Man Alive. Credit: Courtesy of MCT

Adam Levine performs with band- Maroon 5 during the 2011 Victoria’s Secret Fashion Show. Levine was recently named ‘People Magazine’s’ 2013 Sexiest Man Alive.
Credit: Courtesy of MCT

It will get harder and harder to breathe with the purchase of the latest issue of “People Magazine.”

Adam Levine, lead singer of Maroon 5, was selected as “People Magazine’s” 2013 Sexiest Man Alive for the publication’s December issue, which hit shelves Friday.

“As a musician, you have fantasies that you want to win Grammys, but I didn’t really think that this was on the table,” Levine said to “People” of gaining the title.

One thought that really makes me wonder, though, is why Ryan Gosling hasn’t been crowned yet.

Past winners of the prestigious award include salt and pepper hunk George Clooney, “all right all right” beach body Matthew McConaughey and stripping “Magic Mike” Channing Tatum, who was last year’s recipient.

Levine, though, is a 34-year-old Los Angeles-born musician who formed Maroon 5 with friends from high school in 1994 under the name Kara’s Flowers. After adopting its current name, the band went on to release popular tracks such as “Harder to Breathe,” “This Love” and “She Will Be Loved,” and earned a Grammy award for best new artist in 2005. Since the release of its debut album “Songs about Jane” in 2002, Maroon 5 has climbed up the ladder of pop rock music with Levine at the lead.

Levine has also leant his sexiness to other projects such as collaborations with artists Gym Class Heroes, Natasha Bedingfield and Kanye West and has served as a judge on the singing competition show “The Voice.”

While I enjoy hearing Levine’s sultry sounds, I don’t necessarily go out of my way to do a Google search and save pictures of him in a secret folder on my computer that my family can’t find.

Others have agreed and media outlets have since posted negative backlash to the news

Madeleine Davies, blogger on feminist blog Jezebel, said although everyone is left to their own devices on what is considered sexy, the reason she thought Levine is undeserving of the title is because of his smug attitude and “terrible music.”

“It’s ‘Sexiest Man Alive,’ not ‘Person Who Most Reminds You of an Infection You Got from a Hot Tub,’” Davies wrote.

On the other hand, though, Gosling, the man of stealing hearts, has been known to do so onscreen in movies such as “The Notebook” and “The Place Beyond the Pines,” and off-screen with co-stars Rachel McAdams, Eva Mendes, as well as thousands of teenage girls across the nation.

Sorry Levine, but until you have such a deep love for your dog that you shave a Mohawk into him because he gets cranky when he’s without one like Gosling does with his dog, there is only room for one sexy man on my computer — I mean in my heart.

1. he didn’t ask for this, tell PEOPLE. Leave him alone

2. I had the opportunity to see Adam and Maroon 5 perform in Jacksonville, Florida, On 4/1/2013 and Adam was extremely sexy to watch in concert. And watching him every Monday and Tuesday night just confirms to me that whoever gave him the title of Sexist Man Alive, knew exactly what they were doing. His fiancee is such a lucky lady. Good luck with the wedding, and you are extremely lucky. Adams #1 Fan Penny

3. Adorable, Penny.

4. Haters! Adam is sexy as hell n deserves it

5. Gimme a break. Adam WHO?

6. To each his own, everyone has their own taste of what is sexy or not, Clooney is very handsome but I personally don’t see him sexy, his body is not the best BUT Adam WOW his body is very toned and his eyes that’s what gets you everytime. HOT HOT HOT

7. get wrecked adam

8. What, you think all the women who heard of this and were like "HUH?" are haters? Are we jealous or something? LOL He's not the slightest bit attractive and certainly not sexy, at least to most females I know. His looks wouldn't matter at all, though, if his band rocked, but it's so bland, boring and unoriginal. Maroon 5 barely qualifies as rock music anyway. It's more like bubblegum pop for people in their 20's and 30's. No offense, but he is the last guy most women would think of when it comes to sex appeal.

9. Sorry Laura u have ur opinion but I have mine. He is very sexy n he has a beautiful voice. It takes more than just looks to be sexy. Nick Nolte had that same honor yrs ago n I didnt find him sexy. I just think its ignorant to be mad about Adam getting it. Is there other men sexier yes but theres always next yr. Plus hes part of my Tribe n I support my people. Adam u are one sexy jew. Proud of ya