Home » Sports » Football » Ohio State wins 24th straight game, beats Michigan in thriller, 42-41

Ohio State wins 24th straight game, beats Michigan in thriller, 42-41

ANN ARBOR, Mich. – It may not have been easy, but the Ohio State football team is perfect once again.

The Buckeyes (12-0, 8-0) fought off archrival Michigan (7-5, 3-5), 42-41, to extend the nation’s longest winning streak to 24 games and keep their BCS National Championship dreams alive.

“That’s an instant classic,” OSU coach Urban Meyer said after the win. “Someone asked me the question about which means more – our 24th win in a row or a second win against our rivals and no question – second win against our rivals … That was a battle, and great game.”

Michigan scored with just 32 seconds on the clock and elected to go for two and the win, but redshirt-junior quarterback Devin Gardner’s pass was intercepted by redshirt-freshman defensive back Tyvis Powell at the goal line to end the game.

Powell said after the win that he knew the play was coming, thanks to OSU special teams coordinator and cornerbacks coach Kerry Coombs.

“The last thing I remember is Coach Coombs was like, ‘Tyvis, they going to motion in to triple stack and No. 3’s (Michigan redshirt-freshman wide receiver Bo Dever) going to run an angle route,'” Powell said. “So right there, me and (sophomore linebacker) Josh (Perry) made a swap … Josh ended up going on the blitz, he got the pressure on him, they threw the ball. I ran, I was able to listen to Coach Coombs, and there (the ball) was.”

OSU rode the legs of senior running back Carlos Hyde and junior quarterback Braxton Miller to victory, as the two combined for 379 yards rushing and four touchdowns, the last of which by Hyde gave the Buckeyes the lead, 42-35, with 2:20 to go.

The Wolverines took the lead early, scoring on their first possession of the game as Gardner topped off a 99 yard drive when he ran it in from one yard out to give Michigan the lead, 7-0.

The Buckeyes would answer quickly, though, as Miller found junior wide receiver Devin Smith behind the defense for a 53-yard touchdown which tied the game.

Michigan would drive right down the field against the Buckeye defense again on its next possession, taking the lead again after redshirt-senior running back Fitzgerald Toussaint ran for four yards and a touchdown.

The back-and-forth affair continued as OSU kept the ball on the ground and Miller scampered 53 yards to knot the score at 14.

“We reached a point where we had to match score for score,” Meyer said about the early scoring.

Michigan drove right down the field again against the OSU defense on its next possession, taking the lead again after Gardner found Gallon again, this time for a 17-yard touchdown.

After the ensuing kickoff, a fight broke out between the two teams that resulted in three ejections. OSU freshman running back Dontre Wilson and redshirt-senior right guard Marcus Hall were thrown out after throwing a punch, and sophomore linebacker Royce Jenkins-Stone was kicked out for Michigan.

“I’m disappointed with that,” Meyer said after about the fight. “I don’t know … we had a little chat about that and that’s not acceptable.”

It wasn’t until just before the half ended that OSU would tie the game again as Miller scrambled 21 yards for a touchdown after faking out multiple defenders.

After three and outs by both offenses to open the second half, Miller would score twice more in the third to give OSU the lead 35-21. The Buckeye quarterback ran for his third touchdown on the ground and then found junior tight end Jeff Heuerman down the middle of the field for a 22-yard score.

In the fourth quarter, Gardner found senior wide receiver Drew Dileo for an 11-yard touchdown to make the score 35-28 in favor of OSU.

On the Buckeyes’ next possession, Hyde fumbled the football after fighting for extra yardage near midfield. Michigan would recover, and Gardner hit freshman tight end Jake Butt from two yards out on third and goal to tie the game.

“I was surprised on that one that I was still up,” Hyde said about the play when he fumbled. “I was still pushing … I seen that I was past the first down ’cause I looked over and I was past the first down, and you know, the ball just came out man. It happens.”

The Buckeye defense was torched all game long as Gardner finished with 451 yards passing and four touchdowns. But it made the play when it mattered, and OSU recovered an onside kick try to secure the win.

Hyde finished with a game high 226 yards rushing – the most for any Buckeye player against Michigan ever – and Miller had two touchdowns through the air despite only completing six passes.

After securing its second straight undefeated regular season, OSU is set to travel to Indianapolis Saturday to face off against Michigan State (11-1, 8-0) in the Big Ten Championship game. Kickoff is slated for 8 p.m.

“I’m gonna let these guys enjoy (this win),” Meyer said. “But they get it. That’s a very smart team in there and we chatted about that and we start immediately on the championship game.”

1. Oh! Boy was that exciting.

2. Pucker factor 10

3. Great game and an even better ending! Go Bucks!!

4. If you repeat a lie often enough, it becomes the truth, right? the Democrats' great accomplishment is producing the political equivalent of a Rodney King video, clearly demonstrating the lies of the right, the right Hilary Clinton correctly identified as a vast conspiracy. Confirm by examining Central District of California Cases, 01-4340, 03-9097, 08-5515, 10-5193, US Tax Court 12000-07L –though I think you want to view my US Tax Court Appeal to the 9th Circuit for a good account of their day to day assaults, a few month time slice indicative of a decade of assault, and, when it's completed, 9th Circuit 11-56043.
    Typically operating through puppets–including puppets in the judiciary–the right wing has for decades been committing crimes and trying to classify them to cover them up, a move explicitly forbidden by the Code of Federal Regulations. With either the approval or the willful ignorance of the judiciary the right has e killed & stolen several of my pets and routinely shoot energy weaponry at me and my pets, despite my calls to the police, the FBI, Congress, and despite my petitions in court. They've been placing dead cats in my path at a rate of one every few weeks or one a month, and shot out the eye of another stray a day after I advised a few strangers it had a particularly nice disposition. They ran over another animal last night, bloody and in the road, I suppose their defiant response that they're not going to stop trying to intimidate. There is really only one solution, and that's to disempower them politically. They are beyond sick, and belong in prison.

5. Thank God we could hold on in this crucial rivialry game, especially after Carlos' key fumble late in game.

6. My opinion the players stepped up well to win it was a heart attack type game. I feel that Fickle called a terrible defensive game almost like he had no respect for the other team,he should be GONE next year.

7. Betty Lopez Diaz Spates

Absolutely right he needs to go

8. Betty Lopez Diaz Spates

I aged ten years lol

9. Betty Lopez Diaz Spates

The game was frustrating just as it was exciting

10. Again, a defense that was nothing short of being inept. Luke Fickell needs to get his act together or Michigan State will have his defense for lunch. Buckeye Nation, we all need to be completely honest with ourselves. We deserve the number 3 ranking, but there is no way we can match up against either Alabama or Florida State. We have the offense, but we need a defense that can function on all cylinders. Maybe the defense will show up at next week’s Big 10 champtionship game, but I have my doubts. Our offense will be truly tested with one of the premier defenses in the country. Good luck Bucks, you will surely need it.

11. That was WAY too close for my heart and comfort!!!

12. That was WAY too close for my heart and comfort!!!

13. Best game in years,and I watch a lot of college football!

14. OSU has a great offense. The trouble of course is that our defense matches our offensive output. This cannot be fixed. So, hand on for another thrilling game next weekend… Go Bucks!

15. What is especially nice about this win over “…Up North” is that we also destroyed their fantasy of spoiling our perfect season.

16. Betty Lopez Diaz Spates

We had been talking about that, he never fumbles, I guess there's a first time for everything.

17. Douchebag

18. Glen… stop being a troll. That repost is old.

19. Paul Velasquez No, I updated it. Watch the film Repentance.

20. Joel Speyer Umm, idiot?

21. Glen Broemer Updated or not, it is completely inappropriate here. This is a sports story. There are plenty of forums available for political action. Please use them.

22. Bob Harris it's easy enough to look away though isn't it bob. is looking or looking away the great american pastime?

23. and this has what to do with the game? Go post your stupidity somewhere where someone would be dumb enough to care.

24. Bill Little If you repeat a lie often enough, it becomes the truth, right? the Democrats' great accomplishment is producing the political equivalent of a Rodney King video, clearly demonstrating the lies of the right, the right Hilary Clinton correctly identified as a vast conspiracy. Confirm by examining Central District of California Cases, 01-4340, 03-9097, 08-5515, 10-5193, US Tax Court 12000-07L –though I think you want to view my US Tax Court Appeal to the 9th Circuit for a good account of their day to day assaults, a few month time slice indicative of a decade of assault, and, when it's completed, 9th Circuit 11-56043.

25. Bill Little ohio, home of kent state.

26. If you repeat a lie often enough, it becomes the truth, right? the Democrats' great accomplishment is producing the political equivalent of a Rodney King video, clearly demonstrating the lies of the right, the right Hilary Clinton correctly identified as a vast conspiracy. Confirm by examining Central District of California Cases, 01-4340, 03-9097, 08-5515, 10-5193, US Tax Court 12000-07L –though I think you want to view my US Tax Court Appeal to the 9th Circuit for a good account of their day to day assaults, a few month time slice indicative of a decade of assault, and, when it's completed, 9th Circuit 11-56043.

27. Wow your kids will remind you don’t judge!!!! I was giving my parental speech that flipping the bird was childish when my Buckeye student athlete reminded me that while in high school I confronted a parental bully upset their child got BEAT by threatening to bring out the St. Louis in me (wonder why attendance shot up next day I heard)!!! hahahaha I HATE bullies!!! Mark May, Lou Holtz and Reece Davis (ESPN College FB) had me rolling singing the Buckeye FIGHT song while showing the clip. More Michigan players should have been ejected but losing hurt worse I’m sure!! GREAT game!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! What did MJ say “Don’t FIGHT me BEAT me!!!!”

28. Who has greater recruiting power, MSU or OSU? Dantanio picked recruits and coached them up to their maximum ability. OSU needs a defensive coordinator on par with Urban Myer. Fickell should be coaching jr high. maybe high school

29. Hey I know this is off topic but I was wondering if you knew of any widgets I could add to my blog that automatically tweet
    my newest twitter updates. I’ve been looking for a plug-in like this for quite some time and was hoping maybe you would have some experience with
    something like this. Please let me know if
    you run into anything. I truly enjoy reading your blog and I look forward
    to your new updates.