Ohio State’s assistant vice president of media and public relations Gayle Saunders is resigning from her role at the university effective in February.

According to an email sent by Vice President of University Communication Melinda Church obtained by The Lantern Thursday morning, “the search for Gayle’s successor will begin immediately” and is expected to take several months.

In an email to The Lantern, Saunders said she is “resigning to pursue a different professional opportunity.”

Doug Haddix, an editorial assistant vice president in the department, will fill Saunders position during the search and will assume the interim role next week, Church said. According to Lantern  archives, Haddix  makes a salary of $150,000, and Saunders makes $150,000, according to Columbus Business First DataCenter.

Saunders’ resignation is set to be effective Feb. 14, and until then Church said she will be “finishing several special projects” for the remainder of her time at OSU.

In an email sent to undisclosed persons Thursday morning, Saunders said, “I am proud of the many successes I have experienced and am thankful for the opportunity to have met and work with such remarkable people and leaders.”

Saunders has been with the university for a year and a half. Prior to coming to OSU in 2012, Saunders worked with communications at Nationwide Insurance.