‘The Paradox of the Ordinary’ by Adrian Waggoner and Blake Turner, which is displayed at ‘In Conversation,’ an exhibit held in Hopkins Hall Gallery on the Oval from Jan. 21 to Feb. 18.   Credit:  Courtesy of Maria DiTirro

‘The Paradox of the Ordinary’ by Adrian Waggoner and Blake Turner, which is displayed at ‘In Conversation,’ an exhibit held in Hopkins Hall Gallery on the Oval from Jan. 21 to Feb. 18.
Credit: Courtesy of Maria DiTirro

One of Ohio State’s newest exhibitions is slated to incite conversation among university artists.

The Department of Art is set to present the official opening reception for the master’s of fine arts exhibition, “In Conversation,” Thursday, which features 14 newarrivals to the MFA program at OSU.

The event is called “In Conversation” because the artists have been in conversation with each other about their pieces and hope to spark meaningful conversations between OSU students, said Maria DiFranco, a MFA candidate in printmaking, in an email.

DiFranco is set to showcase her work at the exhibition and is excited to share her art after a semester of in-depth work.

“Once you are inside the exhibition, you will notice a variety of mediums represented, including a piece by Jessica Ann, MFA candidate from the art & technology area, that employs a video game experience modeled after a dream of hers. Other MFA candidates are exhibiting work that is a reflection of their research topics, ranging from the body, dimensionality, memory and the sensory experience, among others,” DiFranco said.

DiFranco said the exhibition is fitting for student attendees interested in the arts.

“Ohio State students with a passion for creativity or (who are) simply curious about art can attend the exhibition,” DiFranco said.

Kelly McKenney, a fourth-year in political science, said she would be interested in attending the showing.

“It’s a cool opportunity to see what the up-and-coming artists are doing at Ohio State,” McKenney said.

Emily Kerns, a first-year in pre-business, said she would be interested in checking out the art as well.

“I want to see my peers’ work and their vision of art here at Ohio State,” Kerns said.

The opening reception is set for 4:30 to 5:30 p.m. at the Hopkins Hall Gallery on the Oval.

Nayeon Yang, an MFA candidate in sculpture is set to showcase a live performance at the Opening Reception as well, Difranco said.

The opening reception also gives students and the public a chance to meet and greet with the artists and refreshments are set to be provided.

Students can see the exhibit from 11 a.m. to 5 p.m. weekdays until Feb. 18. Admittance is free.