Then-redshirt-sophomore Cory Kunze jumps over a hurdle during the Jesse Owens Track Classic April 14, 2012, at Jesse Owens Memorial Field. Credit: Shelby Lum / Photo editor

Then-redshirt-sophomore Cory Kunze jumps over a hurdle during the Jesse Owens Track Classic April 14, 2012, at Jesse Owens Memorial Field.
Credit: Shelby Lum / Photo editor

The Ohio State track and field teams got their seasons off to a fast start in their first meets of the year.

The teams opened their indoor seasons at the Buckeye Classic in the French Field House Friday, playing host to Wright State, Marshall, Dayton, Kentucky State, Ohio and Ashland, in addition to unattached runners.

The men’s team had an OSU runner place first in four of seven individual running events. There were three first place finishers in field events.

Senior sprinter and hurdler Demoye Bogle won the 60-meter hurdles with a time of 7.65 seconds to break his own school record. This winning time was also a French Field House record and was one of the top finishing times in Division I hurdles this season. Redshirt-freshman Donovan Robertson came second behind Bogle with his personal best time of 7.74 seconds but with the second best in school history.

Junior sprinter and hurdler Timothy Faust also had a personal best time of 6.77 seconds at the Buckeye Classic in the 60-meter run.

The season opener generated about 1,000 fans.

In five of seven individual races, the OSU women’s squad had runners finish first and second. Senior sprinter Chesna Sykes finished first in the 60-meter dash and the 200-meter dash.

Along with many first place finishers, there were also three personal bests for women’s track recorded on the day. Sophomore sprinter and hurdler Alexis Franklin came in second in the 60-meter hurdles with a personal best 8.35 seconds.

Junior sprinter and jumper Abie Ehimwenman received her personal best mark of 6.01 meters in the long jump, putting her in first place. Senior thrower Emily Taylor grabbed another personal best and third place with an 18.71 meter toss in the weight throw.

OSU’s young runners showed off their talents in the 3,000-meter run, with sophomore distance runner Minori Minagwa claiming first with a time of 10 minutes 20 seconds and freshman distance runner Jill Kanney taking second, just two seconds behind Minagwa.

Next weekend, the women’s team is set to hit the road to travel to Lexington, Ky., for the Kentucky Invite and the men’s team is set to be in State College, Pa., for the Penn State Invite.