Sophomore defensive end Noah Spence (8) breaks up a pass during a game against Indiana Nov. 23. OSU won, 42-14. Credit: Shelby Lum / Photo editor

Initially reported to have been suspended for the use of a dietary supplement, Ohio State sophomore defensive end Noah Spence’s three-game ban is because he tested positive for ecstasy, according to a Tuesday report by abc27 in Harrisburg, Pa.

The report states Spence’s father, Greg Spence, said his son tested positive for “a small amount of ecstasy” prior to the Big Ten Championship game Dec. 7 against Michigan State.

Greg Spence also said that the conference originally suspended his son for a year, according to the report, because it considers the substance to be a performance enhancing drug. He also said Noah Spence consumed the drug accidentally after taking an open drink from someone he did not know at a party.

The Spence family appealed the year-long ban, and it was ultimately reduced to three games, according to the report, which stated that the NCAA considers ecstasy to be a “street drug,” which carries a lesser penalty. A second appeal was unsuccessful.

An OSU spokesman said “we will have no further comment” on the situation in an email to The Lantern Tuesday.

Attempts to contact Spence and his family for comment were unsuccessful Tuesday afternoon.

The abc27 report also said the Spence family plans to file a lawsuit against the Big Ten.

Spence led the Buckeyes with eight sacks in 2013 and finished second on the team with 14.5 tackles for loss. He figures to be a large contributor on the defensive side of the ball next season after serving his suspension.