Then-sophomore pitcher Alex DiDomenico winds up for a pitch during a game against Michigan State April 24 at Buckeye Field. OSU won, 6-3. Credit: Shelby Lum / Photo editor

Then-sophomore pitcher Alex DiDomenico winds up for a pitch during a game against Michigan State April 24 at Buckeye Field. OSU won, 6-3.
Credit: Shelby Lum / Photo editor

The most important thing for any team with a difficult schedule is to win the games they are supposed to.

The Ohio State women’s softball team (4-6, 0-0) did just that at the Easton Desert Classic in Las Vegas, winning three of its five games over the weekend.

OSU wrapped up the weekend on a high note when freshman pitcher Shelby Hursh no-hit Utah Valley — striking out 12 of the 24 batters she faced in just her second career start — leading the Buckeyes to an 8-0 victory in six innings. Redshirt-sophomore catcher Erika Leonard had two runs and two RBI to lead the offense in the win.

On Saturday, No. 10 Oregon and No. 1 Florida proved why they are two of the nation’s best.

Oregon sophomore pitcher Cheridan Hawkins threw a no-hitter against OSU as the Ducks went on to win 9-0 in six innings. Junior pitcher Alex DiDomenico pitched five innings for OSU, giving up six earned runs on seven hits.

The Buckeyes were out of reach early against top-ranked Florida, after a 15-run second inning by the Gators. OSU got on the scoreboard in the fourth inning after senior first baseman Evelyn Carrillo hit an RBI double, allowing sophomore catcher Cammi Prantl to score. Later in the inning, freshman infielder Anna Kirk hit an RBI single up the middle to score sophomore second baseman Jayla Saibene.

OSU would eventually lose to the Gators 19-2 in five innings.

The Buckeyes offense was firing on all cylinders on Friday, ending its doubleheader against Long Beach State and Cal State Northridge with a total of 19 runs on 21 hits. OSU needed every bit of that offense against Long Beach State, pulling out a 10-8 victory.

Leading the offense was Carrillo, who went 4-4 with three RBI, Leonard went two-for-four with two RBI and Kirk added a three-run home run.

OSU won in more dominant fashion against Cal State Northridge, winning 9-0 in five innings. DiDomenico allowed just three hits and had six strikeouts to earn her second win of the year.

Among the eight Buckeyes who had hits against Cal State Northridge, Prantl went two-for-two with two RBI, Conrad went two-for-three with two RBI, and Kirk smacked a two-run home run in the fourth inning.

Next up, OSU is scheduled to travel to the Diamond 9 Citrus Classic in Kissimmee, Fla., starting Feb. 28, which includes games against No. 1 Florida and No. 18 Missouri.