Home » A+E » Opinion: Justin Bieber should not be deported, belongs in U.S. pop culture

Opinion: Justin Bieber should not be deported, belongs in U.S. pop culture

Singer Justin Bieber attend the premiere of ‘Justin Bieber’s Believe’ at the Regal Cinemas L.A. in Los Angeles Dec. 18.  Credit: Courtesy of MCT

Singer Justin Bieber attends the premiere of ‘Justin Bieber’s Believe’ at the Regal Cinemas L.A. in Los Angeles Dec. 18.
Credit: Courtesy of MCT

“Zooming In” is a weekly series in which Photo editor Shelby Lum provides her insight on pop culture. 

The people at the White House usually have a plate full of national incidents and public discontent to manage. The battle continues over gun control, West Virginia was in a state of emergency over water supplies and I’m sure it’s been a blast asking Chris Christie what really happened with that bridge. Yet controversy has originated from the presence of another prominent figure: Justin Bieber.

Following the pop star’s arrest for allegedly drunk drag race driving in Miami, the people have had enough, and the screams of protest were clear: deport Bieber. His breakup with Selena Gomez didn’t do it, his continual cancellation of concerts didn’t do it, but drag racing in Miami paired with the happiest mug shot ever was too much for the American people. Enough was enough.

The petition began Jan. 23, and has since received more than 200,000 signatures, and the good people at the White House dealing with — well, everything else — will have to give deporting Bieber back to Canada some consideration since the petition has well passed the 100,000 signatures needed for the White House to not simply laugh at it.

The Canadian star is set to be arraigned for charges on drunk driving, resisting arrest and having an expired license Feb. 14.

Whether this is enough to be deported for, I can’t really be sure, but it apparently is enough for the population approximately half the size of Sacramento, Calif., to want his blond head out of America.

“We the people of the United States feel that we are being wrongly represented in the world of pop culture,” the petition reads. “We would like to see the dangerous, reckless, destructive, and drug abusing, Justin Bieber deported and his green card revoked.”

While I appreciate the historic use of “We the people,” I don’t think the petition can really claim to be all-inclusive. Does everyone want him gone? Probably not. The plethora of “Never Say Never” posters still for sale says otherwise.

“He is not only threatening the safety of our people but he is also a terrible influence on our (nation’s) youth. We the people would like to remove Justin Bieber from our society,” the petition reads.

Would the American community be better off without the 19-year-old star? Probably, but it also seems almost unfair to attempt to deport him specifically. If one nutty pop star must go, then all should go, but alas many of the other Hollywood crazies are Americans (I’m looking at you Kim Kardashian. We are stuck with you).

So while the petition is stating that Bieber is misrepresenting American pop culture, he really seems to fit into it: self-obsessed, fast living and attention loving.

1. I agree that the petition to deport Justin Bieber is rather overboard. Although, Canada will not let you in their country if you’ve had a DUI. However, I disagree with suggesting he belongs in American pop culture. Americans will decide whether he belongs in pop culture with their wallets. I suspect his pop status will continue to erode until he’ll be lucky to play mall concerts.

2. Heavy Metal Baby!!!!!!

He doesn’t even deserve this article, let alone American pop culture.

3. Tell that to the millions of American families who have lost loved ones to drunk drivers.

4. He is an immature kid with a ton of cash. We all acted stupid at one point in our lives. He should humble himself and apologize to America for his behavior, and he should give all his money to kids who desire to make the world a better place.

5. He should not be deported. He is an idol to so many young girls and yes, he has done some bad and unruly things he has also done so many good things. Just look up how much money Justin has donated to charities including Pencils Of Promise and The Make A Wish Foundation. If you want to deport the pop star it would only be fair to deport many other famous pop stars. Everyone who signed that petition is immature and unjust. He has made mistakes and i’m not excusing him for them but so have many other celebrities and so have you. He is the most famous teen in this world, everyone in the world knows who he is, whether they admire him or not. Everything he does is magnified to such an extent that isn’t fair. People say that they know what happened, but in reality they heard it from someone, who heard it from someone, who heard it from someone, etc. There are no reliable sources, not even Justin himself. Websites post stories about him to make him look bad(and half of the time they are twisted and not true), but nobody ever talks about the good in him, which despite what people say, is there. All I’m saying is don’t believe everything you hear and don’t put down and kid who, already is depressed. So many 19 year old’s around the world are doing the same things as him but, aren’t getting caught, or not being judged by the entire world. Just cut him some slack, he will get through this, but not if the whole world hates him. Please stop putting him down all your doing is making it worse. Also don’t forget about the 50 million girls who completely adore him. Your criticizing their idol, your criticizing what they believe in and love and your not only hurting Justin but your hurting them as well. Please consider everything I said.

6. I think justin wrote that last post