The Franklin County mumps outbreak is continuing to grow.

As of Wednesday afternoon, 82 cases had been reported in Franklin County, 65 of which were linked to the Ohio State outbreak, according to a Columbus Public Health and Franklin County Public Health release.

That total was an increase of 13 cases from Tuesday.

There are 53 OSU students, seven OSU staff members, one family member of an OSU community member and four people with OSU community links who have the mumps.

Mumps is a viral infection of the salivary glands, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention website. It can spread through coughing, sneezing or contact with saliva or mucus. According to the CDC website, the disease can be carried without any symptoms.

Those who are affected by mumps might have swollen and tender salivary glands under the ears or jaw on the side of the face, fever, headache, muscle aches, tiredness, loss of appetite and inflammation of the testicles in men, according to the CDC. The website also says there is no specific treatment for mumps, but it is usually gone in a week or two.

The Columbus Public Health releases encouraged anyone who has not received two doses of the measles, mumps and rubella vaccine to get vaccinations.

Jose Rodriguez, spokesman for Columbus Public Health, said earlier this month those who have received two doses of the MMR vaccine still have a 10 to 20 percent chance of being infected.

OSU students interested in a vaccination are able to receive one through health services after a screening.

OSU Provost and Executive Vice President Joseph Steinmetz sent an email to faculty and staff March 19 asking them to support anyone affected by the outbreak.

“(University) precautions include Student Health Services and Columbus Public Health’s urging students who have fallen ill with mumps to stay home and avoid school, work and other public settings for five days after their symptoms appear,” Steinmetz said. “If you have such students in your classes, I ask that you offer them all reasonable accommodation to make up … work they’ve missed while sparing their classmates from possible infection.”

The onset date of the first mumps case connected to the OSU outbreak was Feb. 10.