Home » Campus » Chris Matthews of MSNBC’s “Hardball” to be Ohio State Spring Commencement speaker

Chris Matthews of MSNBC’s “Hardball” to be Ohio State Spring Commencement speaker

Chris Matthews, host of MSNBC political talk show “Hardball with Chris Matthews." Credit: Courtesy of OSU

Chris Matthews, host of MSNBC political talk show “Hardball with Chris Matthews.”
Credit: Courtesy of OSU

Chris Matthews, host of MSNBC political talk show “Hardball with Chris Matthews,” is set to speak at Ohio State’s Spring 2014 Commencement.

Matthews first started his weeknight hour-long political analysis show,“Hardball,” in 1997 and has been at the role ever since, according to an OSU press release.

Before becoming a broadcast journalist, Matthews worked for 15 years at various newspapers, and prior to that, worked for 15 years as a speechwriter during former President Jimmy Carter’s term.

Matthews graduated from Holy Cross College in 1967 and has served as a visiting fellow at Harvard University’s Institute of Politics, according to the release.

He has also written seven best-selling books about politics.

OSU Interim President Joseph Alutto said Matthews was a good choice for commencement speaker.

“On behalf of Ohio State, it is my pleasure to welcome one of the nation’s most experienced political journalists as our spring commencmeent speaker,” Alutto said in a released statement. “A longtime public servant, New York Times best selling author and television news anchor Chris Matthews will offer a unique perspective on our country’s history and future.”

At spring graduation 2013, President Barack Obama spoke and guests were required to get tickets to attend. No tickets are required this year, according to the commencement website.

About 10,000 students are expected to graduate this spring and commencement is scheduled for May 4 at noon at Ohio Stadium.

1. My son has decided not to walk, which is fine with me.

2. Embarassing that this hack is the only one they could find. Better to not have a commencement speaker than such a tool. What’s the point? I hope they aren’t paying him.

3. Fellow Buckeyes, has this university lost its nut? This liberal hack has no place at the table unless OSU owns NBC/GE stock. This guy is laughable. I bet he will get a chill down his leg at the Shoe for sure. Of all the intellects that could grace this fine university, this is the most puzzling choice. He is a complete sellout to the left wing of the Democratic Party. You might as well have pinko Vann Jones, that slob Ed Schultz, “Tawana Brawley” Al Sharpton, or “Police State” Podesta. Really, what a joke! Journalist? This guy is throw back to Leon Trotsky. I bet this guy will really spur Buckeye Club memberships. What did they pay this purveyor left wing tripe? Woody should be rolling over in his grave. Sure this wasn’t arranged by Karen Holbrooke? Sad day indeed, when you have your finest son or daughter graduating and having to listen to this dreck.

4. A sock puppet for the Obama Administration. My leg is all tingly.

5. As an OSU alum, I am truly embarrassed. What happened to this once great university? Inviting someone who pushes hate to give a commencement speech? No more donations from me.

6. Ghost of Walt Seifert

OSU ranked No. 37 in average faculty salary among Association of American Universities schools for the 2012-13 academic year with a $110,350 average, according to a University Senate document. Thanks Joe Steinmetz. Great selection on the speaker, too.