Stay comfortable during workouts by wearing leggings in combination with a loose-fitting top.  Credit: Courtesy of MCT

Stay comfortable during workouts by wearing leggings in combination with a loose-fitting top.
Credit: Courtesy of MCT

This is it — the temperatures finally look like they might stay warm enough to forget about wearing layer upon layer of heavy knits (knock on wood). As the days get warmer, more people tend to take their workouts to the outdoors and the opportunities to show off style through fitness garb become plentiful. Read on for ideas on how to keep your personality shining through what you wear during your sweat session.

Focus on the footwear

Sneakers are definitely taking the fashion world by storm and shouldn’t be ignored as an essential part of any workout ensemble you might put together. After being featured in runway shows as elite as Chanel, it’s clear these shoes can fit to your fashion personality easily without sacrificing anything. Get a mix of solid neon colors to really let your feet do the talking, or look for a print that truly speaks to you, like floral or tribal. Adding footwear with personality can help jazz up any outfit, no matter how old the T-shirt you’re wearing is.

Necessary headgear

Whether your hair is in a cute pixie cut or goes well beyond your shoulders, keeping it out of your face is needed for comfort during a workout and can easily be done in style. This is the perfect way to give off your preferred fashion vibe. For a no muss, no fuss look, a headband in any solid color is perfect, while a more classic, preppy look can be achieved with a pastel head wrap. This is also a great way to keep yourself feeling put together even while wearing gym clothes, so don’t ignore it.

Keep it natural

Unless you want to look like your face is actually sliding off of your head by the end of your workout, I recommend keeping any makeup minimal to none. If you’re sweating more than you should, you’re probably wearing too much makeup. Keep it simple with a lightweight powder and waterproof mascara — you’ll look fresh-faced and will get a lovely natural glow that’s sure to look better than any streaky mess you end up with otherwise.

Comfort is key

In order to maximize your workout, you need to make sure you’re as comfortable as possible, and fashion is a huge part of that. Combining the ideas above with an outfit that allows movement without any constraints is more important than anything — so if that means wearing a combination of a loose, cropped top and leggings, go for it. If you’re more comfortable wearing shorts and an old T-shirt, wear that instead.

While style might play into your wardrobe decisions, comfort should always be No. 1 when it comes to fitness.