Junior midfielder Jesse King (19) looks to move the ball upfield during a game against Penn State at Ohio Stadium March 1. OSU lost, 11-7. Credit: Ryan Robey / For The Lantern

Junior midfielder Jesse King (19) looks to move the ball upfield during a game against Penn State at Ohio Stadium March 1. OSU lost, 11-7.
Credit: Ryan Robey / For The Lantern

Searching for its second victory of the season, the Ohio State men’s lacrosse team travels west to take on the No. 9 Denver Pioneers (6-3) Saturday.

Coming off a road loss to Hofstra in Long Island last weekend, the Buckeyes fell to 1-4, their worst start to a season since 2006.

However, despite the 7-5 loss to Hofstra, the Buckeyes were able to control faceoffs — which had been a recurring problem in the early stages of the season — with the help of freshman midfielder Jake Withers.

Withers won 10-15 draws in the loss to Hofstra, and junior midfielder Turner Evans had two goals and an assist to lead the Buckeyes offensively.

On the year, junior midfielder Jesse King leads OSU in scoring with 21 points (14 goals, seven assists), while Evans is second with 16 points, (six goals, 10 assists).

Denver, who is led by 2002 Lacrosse Hall of Fame Inductee coach Bill Tierney, is coming off victories against then-No. 11 Notre Dame and then-No. 5 Penn State Saturday and Monday.

In the 15-11 win against the Nittany Lions, eight different players registered a goal for the Pioneers, with junior midfielder Erik Adamson leading the way with four to increase his total to 17 on the year, one behind leading scorer, sophomore attackman Jack Bobzien.

Last season, OSU and Denver met twice and split the contests as Denver won the first matchup in Columbus, with OSU getting revenge in the ECAC Tournament championship game.

This year, the game will be a non-conference matchup after Denver left the ECAC to join the Big East.

Game time is set for Saturday at 1 p.m.