Home » Campus » Area » Ohio State student dies

Ohio State student dies

An Ohio State student died Wednesday at a residence in Buckeye Village.

John Boyd Mitchell, age 21, died at 6:10 p.m. The cause and manner of death was suicide due to hanging, Franklin County Coroner’s Office case secretary Ashley Emmert said Thursday.

University Police Chief Paul Denton said in an email Thursday afternoon the investigation was still open.

Mitchell was from Athens, Ohio, according to a University Police report.

A relative of Mitchell declined to comment Thursday.

Student Life spokeswoman Kellie Uhrig sent an OSU statement in an email to The Lantern Thursday evening.

“We are deeply saddened by the death of Ohio State student John Mitchell. Our thoughts and hearts go out to his family and friends and others who have been affected by this tragic situation,” the statement said. “Professional staff from Student Life’s Counseling and Consultation Service and Student Advocacy Center are available to help students needing assistance.”

Anyone with concerns about friends or family or who have thoughts of suicide is encouraged to contact the OSU Counseling and Consultation Service at 614-292-5766 or the Suicide Prevention Hotline at 614-221-5445.

1. Why is it necessary to report this in the news. Some things are meant to be private, and this is certainly one of them.
    It is so insensitive and inappropriate to ask for a comment from a relative at such a very difficult time.

2. DeMara Schwartzhoff

Bruce and Susan, please know that you are in my thoughts and prayers. Ali and I especially are deeply saddened by this news.

3. Prayers and tears. Depression can end in suicide. We need to reach out to all friends and family members who may be struggling. Prayers for all