Wisconsin fans drink their beer bongs after a round of 'Drinko' before the Wisconsin football game on Oct.7, 2006. Credit: Courtesy of MCT

Wisconsin fans drink their beer bongs after a round of ‘Drinko’ before the Wisconsin football game on Oct.7, 2006. Credit: Courtesy of MCT

As my fellow high school Advanced Placement government classmates discussed their weekend rager, I remember subtly rolling my eyes as I listened to their humiliating stories of being intoxicated.

Since enrolling at college, I’ve had roommates stumble back to our dorm drunkenly at 3 a.m. on a Thursday, watched an inebriated freshman uncontrollably soil himself in the lobby of Sloopy’s Diner on Halloween and cringed at the photos posted on Facebook by people too drunk to remember what they did the night before.

If I hadn’t already decided to remain sober until my 21st birthday, that would have been enough to convince me to wait.

As an incoming freshman at Ohio State, I knew that alcohol-induced fun wasn’t for me. While I was able to find other students like myself, it wasn’t long before our substance-free hangouts became fewer and far between.

Luckily, I was able to become friends with others like myself who didn’t need a drink to have a good time.

For me, drinking before you are of legal age is like opening up your Christmas presents in July. Why would I want to indulge too early and ruin the special occasion?

I couldn’t justify having my first drink at some random house party like many other college students. It’s too mundane and something I likely wouldn’t even remember later.

I want it to be on my 21st birthday, when it’s supposed to matter.

I guess I always figured I will have the rest of my life to drink, so why rush it? My decision to remain sober means I will actually have something to look forward to on this milestone birthday.

When I take my first sip of alcohol on March 23, I feel it’ll be worth the wait.