Steve McQueen pumps his fist and trophy into the air as '12 Years a Slave' celebrates on-stage during the 86th annual Academy Awards on March 2 in Los Angeles. Credit: Courtesy of MCT

Steve McQueen pumps his fist and trophy into the air as ’12 Years a Slave’ celebrates on-stage during the 86th annual Academy Awards on March 2 in Los Angeles.
Credit: Courtesy of MCT

The Oscars wouldn’t be the Oscars without Jennifer Lawrence taking a tumble and Leonardo DiCaprio going home without an award.

Ellen DeGeneres, second-time host of the Oscars, delighted both TV viewers and her audience with her sarcastic jokes, pizza delivery and Twitter-crashing selfies.

Winner of this year’s Best Picture was “12 Years a Slave,” the true story of a free black man being sold into slavery in the American south. Brad Pitt accepted the award saying, “I know I speak for everyone, it has been an absolute privilege to tell Solomon (Northup’s) story.”

The other nominees in this category were “American Hustle,” “Captain Phillips,” “Dallas Buyers Club,” “Gravity,” “Her,” “Nebraska,” “Philomena” and “The Wolf of Wall Street.”

John Ridley won Best Adapted Screenplay for “12 Years a Slave.” This was his first Oscar.

Lupita Nyong’o of “12 Years a Slave” took home Best Supporting Actress. During her speech, she said, “Thank you so much for putting me in this position. It has been the joy of my life.” This was her first Oscar.

“Dallas Buyers Club” won three awards, Matthew McConaughey for Best Actor, Jared Leto for Best Supporting Actor and Robin Mathews and Adruitha Lee for Best Makeup and Hairstyling to . All four winners experienced their first Oscar wins with these awards.

Best Actress went to Cate Blanchett for her performance in “Blue Jasmine. This was her first Oscar win in the category, previously taking home the Oscar for Best Supporting Actress for the Aviator in 2005.

“Gravity” went home with the most wins of the evening, totaling seven Oscars. Director Alfonso Cuarón won his first Oscar for Best Film Editing along with Mark Sanger and his first Oscar for Best Director.

Also for “Gravity,” Steven Price won Best Music in Original Score, Emmanuel Lubezki won Best Cinematography, Glenn Freemantle won Best Sound Editing and Skip Lievsay, Niv Adiri, Christopher Benstead and Chris Munro won Best Sound Mixing.

Tim Webber, Chris Lawrence, David Shirk and Neil Corbould won the Oscar for Best Visual Effects for their work in “Gravity.”

“The Great Gatsby” and “Frozen” both won two Oscars.

“The Great Gatsby” won Best Costume Design and Best Production Design.

“Frozen” won Best Animated Feature Film and Best Music (Original Song).

Winners in the other categories included “Mr. Hublot” for Best Animated Short Film, “Helium” for Best Short Film Live Action, “The Lady in Number 6: Music Saved My Life” for Best Documentary Short, “20 Feet from Stardom” for Best Documentary Feature, “The Great Beauty” for Best Foreign Feature Film and “Her” for Best Original Screenplay.