Then-sophomore attackman Katie Chase (11) warms up before a game against Notre Dame March 4, 2012, at Ohio Stadium. OSU lost, 16-7. Lantern file photo

Then-sophomore attackman Katie Chase (11) warms up before a game against Notre Dame March 4, 2012, at Ohio Stadium. OSU lost, 16-7.
Lantern file photo

There’s no doubt that one of the strongest leaders and competitors on the Ohio State women’s lacrosse team is senior attackman Katie Chase.

In high school, the Maryland native was looking for a university that had a big school feel, with lots of spirit to call home.

“I knew going into it I wanted a school with a lot of tradition,” Chase said. “The first time I visited campus, I knew right away that this is where I wanted to be. The coaches and team were awesome. They made me feel (like) more than just a recruit.”

Chase captured a career-high seven goals and a career-high eight points in a game against Oregon this year and leads the team in goals scored this season, with 37. Chase has been recognized by the American Lacrosse Conference prior to this season, earning Second Team honors, ALC Offensive Player of the week, OSU Scholar-Athlete and an Academic All-Big Ten selection.

While Chase’s statistics across the board are impressive, coach Alexis Venechanos said it is the nature of her character that stands out the most.

“Katie Chase is one of the most humble players I’ve coached,” Venechanos said. “Her poise and her confidence is something that is just tremendous.”

Although her scoring numbers are impressive, Chase exhibited her humility when it was brought to her attention and put her team in front of her accomplishments.

“It’s nice,” Chase said. “But we still have a lot more to accomplish as a team this year.”

Although the offensive statistics are a boost to the team, Venechanos says it is also Chase’s willpower that makes her a strong leader.

“She could be getting triple teamed or getting pushed, but she has this poise about her and confidence that is really contagious to our team,” Venechanos said. “We ask a lot of her and she knows the team looks up to her.”

Venechanos said Chase’s on-the-field character is present outside the lines as well. She described Chase as supportive, caring and always looking to help, with an “overall good demeanor.”

“People love playing with her,” she said. “She is a phenomenal teammate.”

A player in particular who enjoys playing with Chase is junior attackman Jackie Cifarelli. The pair’s chemistry is easily shown on the field with its ability to dominant the attack together.

“I’m excited (about this weekend’s game) because it’s our senior game,” Cifarelli said. “We have always said, ‘play for our seniors.’”

Cifarelli mentioned that the team has all grown to feel like a family. That family mentality is one of Chase’s favorite components to the program at OSU.

“We are literally a family on and off the field,” Chase said. “Outside of lacrosse, they are all my best friends.”

When the final horn on Chase’s lacrosse days at OSU sounds, she is planning on taking her double major in human development and family sciences and sports management and applying to graduate school closer to home.

The Buckeyes are set to take on Penn State Sunday at 1 p.m. in Jesse Owens Memorial Stadium.