While Executive Vice President and Provost Joseph Steinmetz said the future of Maymester needs further evaluation, others have already decided that the program is costing the university too much.

Richard Dietrich, chair of the University Senate fiscal committee, suggested at the final University Senate meeting of the academic year Thursday that OSU should start charging tuition for the program.

“The provost has not yet taken up the recommendation, to the best of my knowledge. I’m scheduled to meet with him next week to discuss it,” he said.

May Session was created during the conversion from quarters to semesters, and allows students to take up to three credits with waived tuition during a four week section following Spring Semester. Currently, participating students pay about $70 in student activity, student union and Central Ohio Transit Authority fees.

Dietrich’s proposal was backed by a budget review committee, which issued a report April 9 that estimated the university could expect a $11 to $12 million revenue gain each year if students were charged for Maymester, assuming a 8.5 percent participation rate.

Steinmetz had said he was open to the possibility of charging tuition for Maymester and had asked the Senate fiscal committee to look into it.

“My concerns are, is if this is costing the university to waive these three credit hours and it’s having a negative impact on our other semesters, I think we’re probably not getting to the point where we want to be with this,” Steinmetz told BuckeyeTV, an affiliate of The Lantern, April 1. “So if that’s the case and that’s the recommendation to come, we would consider charging during May Session.”