OSU coaches (from left) Dave Dickerson, Jeff Boals, Thad Matta and Greg Paulus look on during a game against Penn State Jan. 29 at the Schottenstein Center. OSU lost, 71-70, in overtime. The coaches wore tennis shoes to show support for Coaches v. Cancer. Credit: Shelby Lum / Photo editor

OSU coaches (from left) Dave Dickerson, Jeff Boals, Thad Matta and Greg Paulus look on during a game against Penn State Jan. 29 at the Schottenstein Center. OSU lost, 71-70, in overtime. The coaches wore tennis shoes to show support for Coaches v. Cancer.
Credit: Shelby Lum / Photo editor

Whispers of an annual college basketball event featuring Ohio State, UCLA, Kentucky and North Carolina floated their way around the rumor mill for quite a while.

On Wednesday, though, those whispers were made official.

According to CBS Sports, the CBS Sports Classic is set to launch in 2014 and feature the four aforementioned basketball programs in a round-robin style tournament that will take place over a three-season span.

The tournament is set to be hosted in three separate cities over the next three seasons, starting with Chicago in 2014, Brooklyn in 2015 and Las Vegas during the 2016 season.

The first slate of games in Chicago is set to feature OSU taking on the North Carolina Tar Heels at the United Center on Dec. 20 at 1 p.m. That first-ever CBS Sports Classic matchup will be followed by a battle between UCLA and Kentucky, following the completion of the first game.

As for the subsequent years, the Buckeyes are set to take on Kentucky Dec. 19, 2015 at the Barclays Center in Brooklyn, New York and is slated to conclude the festivities with a Dec. 17 matchup against the UCLA Bruins in 2016 in Las Vegas.

It was also announced Monday that the Big Ten is set to take part in the Dave Gavitt Tipoff Games starting in 2015, which pit the Big Ten against the Big East in an annual series of matchups.