Aaron Paul, Anna Gunn and Bryan Cranston pose for press photos In Los Angeles after winning Emmys for "Breaking Bad" on Aug. 25, 2014.  Credit: Courtesy of MCT

Aaron Paul, Anna Gunn and Bryan Cranston pose for press photos In Los Angeles after winning Emmys for “Breaking Bad” on Aug. 25, 2014.
Credit: Courtesy of MCT

The 66th annual Emmy Awards show Monday night was long — very long.

But although it was long, there were some funny moments and some cringe-worthy bits I thought were plain weird.

Unlike actress Sarah Silverman, who told “E! News” host Giuliana Rancic that she brought liquid marijuana to the event, I didn’t have anything to ease the pain of watching the award show.

Luckily, host Seth Meyers made some of the dreadful moments easier to watch with his sense of humor.

Here are my thoughts from television’s so-called big night.

The real star of the night

Pretty boy and HBO’s “True Detective” star Matthew McConaughey did his thing Monday night by just being in attendance. And comedian Jimmy Kimmel took some time before announcing the winner for Outstanding Supporting Actress in a Comedy Series to rip McConaughey for being a movie star at a TV event.

Then there was “Modern Family” director Gail Mancuso, who said her acceptance speech for Outstanding Directing for a Comedy Series was dedicated to McConaughey.

Here is my theory on why McConaughey’s face was on screen so much during the award show: The actor was placed strategically in the front row so that he would be shown on screen as much as possible to gain more viewers for the Emmys. I think it worked.

This might never be scientifically proven — I was the only guy in a household of five watching the award show. But all of a sudden, McConaughey shows up on screen, and — boom — I got one of my roommates in the living room watching the Emmys.

So, in the words of Kimmel, “I mean all right, all right, all right already.”

The tears

Respect was paid to the stars that left us with great memories in the “In Memoriam” segment of the show.

Singer Sara Bareilles sang beautifully as Paul Walker and Philip Seymour Hoffman, among others, were shown on screen.

The segment ended with a clip from Robin Williams’ stand-up comedy followed by a photo of Williams’ palms placed on his cheeks.

Actor Billy Crystal took the stage to say a few words of Williams who died in early August — words that touched my heart.

Things I hate about award shows

Can all the award shows please let award winners have as much time as they want to be on stage to give their sentimental acceptance speech?

Why interrupt them with the funeral music? They won an award for the work they all worked so hard for, well, not all of them — cough, cough: Sofia Vergara — but some, definitely.

All about ‘Breaking Bad’

AMC’s critically acclaimed series “Breaking Bad” swept the Emmys with six awards. Bryan Cranston took home an Emmy for Outstanding Lead Actor in a Drama Series, and fellow actors Aaron Paul and Anna Gunn were awarded best supporting actors in their respective categories.

Who doesn’t love the idea of a struggling high school chemistry teacher diagnosed with lung cancer who turns to drug dealing to support his family? I certainly do.

Awkward

Sarah Silverman. Enough said.

The comedian and “Masters of Sex” actress opted to run on stage barefoot to accept her second Emmy award for “Sarah Silverman: We Are Miracles” and gave a bizarre acceptance speech that I’m still trying to comprehend.

Silverman showed Rancic her liquid pot in a vaporizing pen from her purse on the red carpet, but don’t get all crazy folks. The drug is legal in California (where the Emmys were held) for medical usage.

However, if by any chance anyone understood what Silverman said during her speech, please contact me.

LOL

The moment you have two hosts of a late night comedy show on stage at the Emmys, you know it’s time to laugh.

“Tonight Show” host Jimmy Fallon went “Kanye-style” by rushing on stage after comedian Stephen Colbert’s crew won for Outstanding Variety Series — only after Gwen Stefani had a tongue twister moment with Colbert’s name.

This does foreshadow the competition that these two comedians will go through as Colbert takes over for David Letterman on CBS when he retires in 2015.

All and all, though, I was impressed with the 2014 Primetime Emmy Awards.