Then-redshirt-junior Logan Jones holds his follow-through after a tee shot at the Robert Kepler Intercollegiate on April 12 in Columbus. OSU placed 6th on the first day of play and 5th after the second round. Credit: Lantern file photo

Then-redshirt-junior Logan Jones holds his follow-through after a tee shot at the Robert Kepler Intercollegiate on April 12 in Columbus. OSU placed 6th on the first day of play and 5th after the second round.
Credit: Lantern file photo

The Ohio State field hockey team could not pull out a victory over its opening weekend, but some players said they are still full of confidence heading into Friday’s scheduled face-off with Miami (Ohio).

“I think we’re all determined to come out hard after this (last) weekend,” junior forward Peanut Johnson said. “I have a sour taste in my mouth after this weekend so I’m definitely going to come out hard.”

The Buckeyes (0-2) are looking to bounce back after being shutout, 4-0, by the Albany Great Danes on Monday afternoon.

Much of the team’s woes may have come from a lack of posession. In all, the Buckeyes were outshot 58-14 in their first two matchups against Syracuse and Albany.

“We’re able to complete a couple passes,” coach Anne Wilkinson said. “But then we’re having a rough time stringing longer passes together.”

The Buckeyes may have to improve their offensive efficiency to help keep pressure off freshman goalkeeper Liz Tamburro. The Phoenixville, Pa., native made 25 saves in her first two collegiate starts.

Tamburro’s 14 saves Monday against Albany were the most in a single game by a Buckeye since 2003.

OSU has been focused on sustaining a constant attack in recent practices, Wilkinson said.

“When we get it up there we’re very good at executing and finishing,” she said.

The Redhawks (0-2) are also set to come into Columbus Friday in search of their first win after falling to Syracuse, 5-1, in the Buckeye Classic to open the season, and then losing to Northwestern at home by the same score.

Miami’s senior back Ali Froede scored her 15th career goal in the loss to Northwestern on Tuesday.

The Redhawks return 14 letter winners, including Froede and junior midfielder Bea Dechant. Both players earned First Team All Mid-American Conference honors last season.

Defending set plays will be the key to slowing down the Redhawks’ attack, Tamburro said.

“We need to start with defensive corners,” she said. “Focusing more and trying to get the ball out (of the corner).”

OSU has defeated Miami in three of the last five meetings dating back to 2009, but the Redhawks have won the last two. Wilkinson said Miami’s ability to play together as a unit is what makes it so tough.

“They’re a very systematic team,” Wilkinson said. “We need to be able to break them down one at a time.”

Ultimately the game will come down to which team is able to possess the ball and capitalize off those possessions, Wilkinson said.

“They (the Buckeyes) have really been working hard as far as finishing what they start,” she said. “Finish their passes. Finish their tackles.”

OSU and the Redhawks are set to face-off at 5 p.m.