OSU freshman forward Maddy Humphrey (23) goes for the ball during a game against Ball State on Sept. 14 at Buckeye Varsity Field. OSU won, 3-2, in overtime. Credit: Melissa Prax / Lantern photographer

OSU freshman forward Maddy Humphrey (23) goes for the ball during a game against Ball State on Sept. 14 at Buckeye Varsity Field. OSU won, 3-2, in overtime.
Credit: Melissa Prax / Lantern photographer

Fresh off a 9-1 demolition of Appalachian State on Sunday, the Ohio State field hockey team is set to take its show on the road.

The Buckeyes (3-4, 0-1) are scheduled to travel to Trager Stadium in Louisville, Ky., on Tuesday to face No. 14 Louisville (6-1, 1-1).

The Cardinals are coming off a major upset after beating the No. 1 team in the country — the North Carolina Tar Heels — on Saturday. The game marked the first time a Louisville team had knocked off a top-ranked opponent and it did so in front of its home crowd.

Senior forward Becca Maddock’s goal with five minutes left against the Tar Heels broke a 2-2 tie and made Louisville the winners.

Freshman forward Maddy Humphrey said Buckeyes understand that they must play a solid all-around game if they want to defeat top-notch competition on the road.

“We want to play the same as we just did,” Humphrey said after OSU’s game against Appalachian State. “And even though the other opponents might be a little more tougher than the team we just played, we’re gonna have that same intensity we had today.”

Humphrey is coming off a weekend in which she scored five goals and tallied one assist, including a three-goal game against Appalachian State.

OSU coach Anne Wilkinson said Humphrey’s play has lifted the Buckeyes early in the season.

“The goals she’s scoring are great goals,” Wilkinson said. “She just has great eye-hand-stick coordination and I think that helps in our sport if you’ve got great hands.”

Louisville has been tough to handle on its home field, having won 13 consecutive games at Trager Stadium dating back to 2012.

The Cardinals are a veteran-laden team with eight upperclassmen in their starting lineup, led by Alyssa Voelmle, a senior back from Hershey, Pa.

Voelmle leads the Cardinals with 13 points coming off five goals and three assists.

Despite Louisville’s lofty national ranking and experience, there is still optimism in the OSU locker room. Freshman midfielder Morgan Kile said she believes the Buckeyes could pull the victory out against the Cardinals on Tuesday if they keep the same sharp mindset they had against Appalachian State.

“I feel like if we come out on Tuesday with the same tempo we had (Sunday) and we work together and it just comes smoothly to us again, it’ll be an easy game for us,” Kile said.

OSU has already taken two nationally-ranked teams to overtime this season – nearly defeating then-No. 5 Syracuse to open the season Aug. 29 and then narrowly losing to No. 16 Michigan State, 4-3, Friday.

The Buckeyes and Cardinals are set to face-off at 3 p.m.