Senior outside hitter Erin Sekinger (12) winds up to serve in a match against Florida Gulf Coast Sept. 5 at St. John Arena. OSU won 3-1 Credit: Emily Yarcusko

Senior outside hitter Erin Sekinger (12) winds up to serve in a match against Florida Gulf Coast on Sept. 5 at St. John Arena. OSU won 3-1
Credit: Emily Yarcusko / For the Lantern

The Ohio State women’s volleyball team swept through a trio of matches over the weekend

OSU went into Oxford, Ohio, and won the Miami (Ohio) University Invitational. The Buckeyes (9-3) have now won nine of their last 10 games.

In four non-conference tournaments this season, the Buckeyes swept competition in two and won three. All three tournament victories came within Ohio.

In their third and final match of the tournament against Miami (Ohio) (7-5), the Buckeyes lost their only set of the entire tournament, but still took down the Redhawks with an attack percentage of .234 in four sets (20-25, 28-26, 25-16, 25-17).

Junior outside hitter Katie Mitchell led all players in kills with 25, followed by sophomore outside hitter Kylie Randall and freshman outside hitter Luisa Schirmer, who each had 12. Senior defensive specialist Alyssa Winner led all players in digs with 25, while Schirmer contributed 10. Senior setter Taylor Sherwin led all players in assists with 46, while sophomore setter Maggie Heim added 10.

In their second match of the tournament, and first on Saturday against Indiana University-Purdue University Indianapolis (5-9), the Buckeyes completed a clean sweep against the Jaguars in just under 90 minutes (25-18, 29-27, 25-20).

Four Buckeyes had double-digit digs against the Jaguars. Sophomore defensive specialist Valeria León led all players with 17, followed by Schirmer with 14, Sherwin with 12 and senior outside hitter Erin Sekinger with 11. Sekinger also led all players in kills with 22, while Schirmer followed with 12 of her own. Sherwin had double-digit assists with 39.

Against the University of Alabama-Birmingham (3-9), the Buckeyes completed a clean sweep in just 77 minutes (25-17, 25-22, 25-16).

Two players totaled double-digit points against the Blazers for OSU, as Sekinger led all players with 11 kills, followed by Mitchell with 10. Sherwin had double-digit assists with 31.

The team also combined for an attack percentage of .286 against the Blazers.

Sherwin was named tournament MVP, while Sekinger and Mitchell were also named to the all-tournament team.

Sherwin led all players in assists with 116 over the two-day event.

The Buckeyes are scheduled to open Big Ten competition on Wednesday as they’re scheduled to take on Minnesota (10-1) at 8 p.m., followed by a trip to Wisconsin (9-1) on Sunday to take on the Badgers. The match is scheduled to begin at 2 p.m.