Then-freshman defender Taylor Schissler makes a play on the ball in a game against Pittsburgh Aug. 28, 2013. OSU won 2-0. Credit: Lantern file photo

Then-freshman defender Taylor Schissler makes a play on the ball in a game against Pittsburgh Aug. 28, 2013. OSU won 2-0.
Credit: Lantern file photo

It was a tough Friday night for the Ohio State women’s soccer team as it lost on the road against No. 8 Penn State.

The Nittany Lions outscored the Buckeyes, 5-1, handing the team its worst loss of the season. The most goals allowed by the Buckeyes before the loss on Friday was three, in losses against Purdue on Sept. 14 and then-No. 4 Virginia Tech on Aug. 31.

Scoring began early when Penn State freshman forward Frannie Crouse gave the Nittany Lions the lead by scoring off a cross in the second minute. Penn State added another goal in the first half when sophomore midfielder Salina Williford scored off an OSU turnover in the 27th minute.

Penn State took a 2-0 lead into the half while also holding a 7-1 lead in shots. The Buckeyes got on the board early in the second half when freshman midfielder Sydney Dudley scored on a header off a cross in the 46th minute. The Nittany Lions responded quickly with a goal from senior defender Whitney Church less than three minutes later.

Penn State increased the lead to 4-1 in the 65th minute when Crouse scored her second goal of the evening on a breakaway. The Nittany Lions added another goal to their lead in the 76th minute from junior forward Raquel Rodriguez off a cross from freshman midfielder Haleigh Echard.

Penn State held 14-4 advantage in shots. OSU is 1-5-0 this season when trailing opponents in shot attempts.

The Buckeyes fell to 4-5-0 for the season and 1-2-0 in Big Ten play, while the Nittany Lions improved to 7-1-0 and 3-0 in the Big Ten.

The Buckeyes next game is scheduled for Friday at 7 p.m. against No. 22 Illinois at Jesse Owens Memorial Stadium.