Home » A+E » Opinion: Nicki Minaj makes her ‘Pinkprint,’ Foo Fighters father ‘dad rock’ in upcoming fall albums

Opinion: Nicki Minaj makes her ‘Pinkprint,’ Foo Fighters father ‘dad rock’ in upcoming fall albums

If October is set to bring a wave of bugglegum pop, November will naturally follow with a cooler set of album releases. Read on to see what you can expect to hear the next few months as well as the songs that are already available.

Foo Fighters — “Sonic Highways,” Nov. 10

Dave Grohl turned into a dad rocker almost overnight. Not that there is anything wrong with that — he has had one of the most prolific careers of any modern rock musician — but since when did he become the type of frontman to record an album in eight different cities and use landmarks from those cities as the record cover? Total dad rock move.

But the Foo Fighters are still one of the only rock bands that get attention. The band’s last album, “Wasting Light,” was a surprisingly great throwback to analog recording, and Grohl can still write a solid rock tune. No one expects another “The Colour and the Shape,” but the Foos can pretty much guarantee a number No. 1 record on the rock charts.

Listen now: Nothing yet, but tide yourself over with Grohl’s documentary, “Sound City,” about the Los Angeles-based Sound City Studios.

TV on the Radio — “Seeds,” Nov. 18

One of the longer-lasting bands to come out of the Brooklyn scene in the early to mid-2000s, TV on the Radio has been consistently putting out solid-to-great albums since their debut in 2004. “Seeds” is set to be the group’s fifth album, and first since the death of bassist Gerard Smith in 2011.

Listen now: “Happy Idiot”

Nicki Minaj — “The Pinkprint,” Nov. 24

Minaj’s ubiquitous pop culture moment happened a few weeks ago, leaving one to wonder how she is going to keep the focus on her for an album that does not come out for another two months.

The “Anaconda” video was the most hyped music video since Miley Cyrus’ “Wrecking Ball,” and it lived up to and surpassed expectations. As of this week, Minaj’s ode to her own rear end has more than 175 million views on YouTube.

But “Anaconda” also gave fans an idea of what Minaj’s third album will sound like. Hip-hop heads have been calling for a return to her rap roots, while pop fans are looking for more radio hits like “Starships.” It seems this album will consist of a little of both — whichever it is, it is going to be everywhere.

Listen now: “Anaconda,” “Pills N Potions” 

Frank Ocean — TBA

News from Ocean’s recording sessions for the follow-up to “Channel Orange” have been quiet, but we have been told he was aiming to release the record this year. He had said earlier he was planning to release music when Summer 2014 rolled around. That time has obviously come and gone, but of course there’s still hope for material this fall.

Listen now: Nothing new, but do yourself a favor and revisit “Channel Orange.” It’s still great. 

This is the final part of a three-part series previewing upcoming and notable album releases this fall.