Home » Opinion » Letters to Editor » Letter to the editor: USG forum fosters discussion about climate change

Letter to the editor: USG forum fosters discussion about climate change

People listen to a USG forum about the future of sustainability and climate change. Credit: Courtesy of Patrick Gill

People listen to a USG forum about the future of sustainability and climate change.
Credit: Courtesy of Patrick Gill

Letter to the editor:

A few weeks ago, President Barack Obama challenged world leaders to take action immediately to address climate change. But what are we doing here in Columbus — at Ohio State? 

It’s no secret that we have a strong commitment to sustainability. From initiatives, like “Out Green the Spartans” and making Ohio Stadium “Zero Waste,” to the construction of LEED-certified buildings on campus, sustainability-centered research and environmentally-focused courses, we try to go above and beyond the stereotypical green commitments. But the climate continues to change. We think we have an obligation to push further, and it has to start with greater collaboration across campus so we can epitomize these efforts in our state, our nation and our world.

Recently, the Undergraduate Student Government’s sustainability committee held a forum with students, faculty and administration to talk about our future. We discussed OSU’s storied commitment to sustainability and what students can do to lead the charge for climate action. 

The Student Academic Services building, located at 281 W. Lane Ave., is LEED certified. Credit: Courtesy of OSU

The Student Academic Services building, located at 281 W. Lane Ave., is LEED certified.
Credit: Courtesy of OSU

Pete Curtis, a professor of ecology, Timothy Haab, an environmental economist, and Samantha Allen, a former U.S. Marine who now works for the Sierra Club, were the featured guests. Students were ecstatic to talk to different professionals, but willing to listen to the wisdom that was imparted. Perhaps the most memorable quote of the night, would be from Curtis who emphasized that students should “Be loud! Be obnoxious! This is your world you are fighting for!”  

With that, the night came to a close and the 36 students who came within 48 hours notice left with reinvigorated spirit and new connections within their fields. As of now, the impact of the event has yet to be determined, but we hope the words of Curtis, Allen and Haab will linger on with all who visited — the Earth certainly needs it.  

Celia Wright
Undergraduate Student Government president
Fourth-year in public health
[email protected]

Samuel Reed
USG director of sustainability
Second-year in environmental science
[email protected]

1. I’m having trouble seeing the purpose of this. Although a letter to the editor, I hardly see any opinion other that USG has a “strong commitment to sustainability.” This seems like an advertisement for USG. . . a way to get this information in The Lantern, since they didn’t value you it enough before. And we should really be focussing on much more, relevant issues that actually matter here on campus. Thanks.

2. Look at the data Samuel and Celia….the global average temperature has been flat for a decade. climate change….is a hoax.

Review the reasons BEHIND the reasons the government wants to combat climate change…its a scheme to TAX people more….to shut down the opponents….and to push more government regulation on people and businesses.

but I guess i shouldnt be surprised they do these kinds of things….especially since many people in the govt have little idea that theyre are being taken advantage of and told a lie….as it seems that OSUs students government just does things that will make them look good…not things that are actually practical, efficient, and realistic problems to tackle. but really, please look at the facts and make moves for yourself….not because Barack Obama tells you so….And always QUESTION WHY PEOPLE IN POWER WANT TO BE IN POWER…..Im skepitcal of the USG people in power as much as I am skeptical of the Obama administration…

Please do some research.

3. Clayton,

Celia is only in this for herself for the line on her resume . Her whole administration is dismally operated.

4. The same people that criticize you when you do “nothing” will criticize you for doing something because it’s not the *right* thing, or what you had in mind. Paradoxical expectations make no one happy.

5. USG is not the solution to our problems…USG is the problem. We should not put faith in the leaders of USG to solve our problems. We should, however, put faith in the values that transcend people and student run organizations.

6. jimmy boom confetti

Let’s face it this president had no real ideas when she ran and simply used the fact that they were an all female ticket to garner votes.