Christina Dawes (left), Abbey Shafer and Shaina Klammer pose for a picture on the Oval. The photo was part of the OSU Fashion Production Association's 2013 marketing video, and the organization posted it on its Facebook page. Credit: Courtesy of OSU Fashion Production Association

Christina Dawes (left), Abbey Shafer and Shaina Klammer pose for a picture on the Oval. The photo was part of a marketing video by the OSU Fashion Production Association, and the organization posted it on its Facebook page.
Credit: Courtesy of the OSU Fashion Production Association

Fashion has always been about the next big thing, and one Ohio State fashion group is using that mantra with technology as well.

The Fashion Production Association, an OSU fashion-based student organization, is working to build and maintain a strong social media presence, said Anna Busi, president of FPA and a fourth-year in marketing and fashion and retail studies.

The organization, now in its 22nd year, used to be far more limited in its ability to share the designs of its members. Before social media, promotion was typically limited to flyers and friends and family, Busi said in a text message.

The organization works to share its members’ designs through social media, as well as present an annual fashion show on campus. This year, the show is titled “Unwritten: From Page to Stage” and is set to be held on April 11, Busi said. The shows generally cost upward of $10,000, with the money coming from fundraisers by FPA, Busi added.

The organization uses Facebook, YouTube and Pinterest for fashion inspiration, expression and outreach to the OSU community, Busi said.

“(Fashion in social media) is only going to get bigger. It’s a really big opportunity for so many people to share their own thoughts on what is in fashion and what is the next hottest thing, as before social media, there was a trickle down effect in communicating fashion to the mass public,” Busi said.

Busi said she prefers to use Pinterest and Instagram for fashion inspiration from major designers as well as fashion bloggers.

Of the many bloggers Busi follows on social media, she said Kellye Saunder, a third-year in fashion and retail studies and former FPA member, has been one of the most successful young designers at building a brand.

Sauder said she started her own fashion blog and Instagram account, @fashionably.fit, to express her love for fashion and photography.

“My fashion blog is centered around my personal style and showcases my minimalistic approach to fashion,” Sauder said. “I love Instagram, too, for its simplicity. It allows me to post more often, and it challenges me to be more innovative with what I post.”

Sami Kassirer (left), Krystal Swanson and Christina Dawes walk through the Oval for a marketing video produced by the OSU Fashion Production Association. The organization posted the photo on its Facebook page. Credit: Courtesy of the OSU Fashion Production Association

Sami Kassirer (left), Krystal Swanson and Christina Dawes walk through the Oval for a marketing video produced by the OSU Fashion Production Association. The organization posted the photo on its Facebook page.

Sauder said other students interested in careers in fashion should take advantage of the advancement of social media for trend analysis and personal expression, as “the impact of social media on fashion has created a stronger relationship between business and consumers, and fashion bloggers can use it to brand themselves,” noting that brands are now able to gain followings around the world.

Other students in the fashion and retail field agree.

Dana Kittaneh, a fourth-year in communication and fashion and retail studies, said social media has recently helped creative people find their niche and express themselves.

“People can share their brand with a larger audience versus before social media, and small boutiques and independent fashion designers weren’t as exposed as they can be now,” Kittaneh said.

Kittaneh follows several bloggers, and said her main inspiration is the blog OOTD, or outfit of the day, because “it showcases everyday people whose main job isn’t in the fashion industry, and they just really like to look good.”

For those interested in starting their own personal fashion blog, Kittaneh said to look at bloggers within the higher end of the market and then use it as inspiration with their own personal style.

Sauder gave similar advice.

“The key is to be yourself and stay true to yourself,” she said.