Home » A+E » Political comedian Bill Maher: America is finally changing

Political comedian Bill Maher: America is finally changing

Comedian Bill Maher, host of HBO’s ‘Real Time with Bill Maher,’ is set to perform on Nov. 9 at the Palace Theatre. Credit: Courtesy of HBO

Comedian Bill Maher, host of HBO’s ‘Real Time with Bill Maher,’ is set to perform on Nov. 9 at the Palace Theatre.
Credit: Courtesy of HBO

For the last 11 years, Bill Maher has hosted the controversial and unflinching political comedy series, HBO’s “Real Time with Bill Maher.”

Having been nominated for a Primetime Emmy Award for Outstanding Variety Series every year from 2005 through 2014, the show attracts an amalgam of guests including poets, authors, members of Congress, generals and movie directors.

Just this past February, Michelle Alexander, an associate professor at the Moritz College of Law at Ohio State, appeared on “Real Time” and spoke about her book “The New Jim Crow: Mass Incarceration in the Age of Colorblindness.”

Amid Maher’s preparation for this week’s episode and his stand-up appearance at the Palace Theatre on Sunday in Columbus, The Lantern spoke to him about a variety of issues, including Tuesday’s midterm elections, legalizing marijuana nationwide and the evolution — or lack thereof — of democracy in our modern society.

The Lantern: Why is the midterm election this week so important to participate in, and why should Ohio State students be planning to go to the polls?

Bill Maher: If they are progressive in any way, they probably are aware of the fact that (President Barack) Obama can only do so much without the help of Congress. Now the Republicans have been up his a– lately about using executive actions. The latest one he threatened to do was to close Guantanamo Bay unilaterally. But up until now, he’s not been able to close Guantanamo Bay.

That’s a great example of something he wanted to do — it’s the right thing to do — but Congress blocked it. I could name 10 other important issues.

Infrastructure — there’s a no-brainer — money has never been cheaper to borrow. Our infrastructure is crumbling, and we need to put people to work. It would be so easy to do that, but, of course, the Republicans have to block everything Obama does.

Environment — another area where Obama is fighting a “one-man war on coal,” something we should all be behind, but he can’t do much. He can’t do everything without Congress. That’s the way our government is set up. So unless we elect people who are willing to work with Obama, it doesn’t really do any good for him to be president.

TL: As you’ve stated on your show, “Real Time with Bill Maher,” it seems that a lot of people don’t even know that there is an election Tuesday.

BM: Yeah. I would just remind the people that Obama’s phrase in 2008 was “Yes We Can,” not “Yes I can.” “Yes We Can,” and that “we” means them.

TL: In your lifetime, do you believe that marijuana will be legalized in America? What steps are necessary to facilitate that future?

BM: Marijuana is the new gay marriage. It’s going to follow the same trajectory — it’s inevitable. America is slowly turning into a more, shall we say, progressive Western European democracy. And I know this makes conservatives’ heads explode because they think, “That is what is horrible about America,” but America is finally changing.

We have gay marriage in 30 states now, we have medical marijuana in over a third of the country — obviously, regular, “roll-up-a-fatty” marijuana in two states ­— we have openly gay Congress people in six states.

We have a Hindu and two Muslims in Congress. We’re just becoming a much more diverse, open society, and I hate to say it, but what has to happen to push this finally over the edge is that a certain number of people in America just have to die, and they will.

Look at the average age of the Fox News viewer — I think it’s 69 — and not the fun way kind of 69 — in a kind of “blocked progress” way. That’s the old guard, that’s who votes in the midterms. Midterms are just cranky, old, white people. We need the young people to get out there and vote, to counteract what I call the “cruise ship electorate.”

TL: In your opinion, is America a true democracy? 

BM: There are so many reasons why I could tell you this is no longer a functioning democracy. Just the fact that the filibuster is now the rule of the land, I would call that a coup — a quiet coup — but that’s kind of a coup d’etat with what our government was intended to be and what the Constitution says … there’s gerrymandering, and the electoral college, and Citizen’s United that has allowed pretty much every election to be “up for sale.”

You put that all together, and it’s no wonder that this country is completely ossified and no legislation of any value ever gets passed, and the stuff that does get passed is always to benefit corporations and not human beings.

REFERIDKWHYTHISISNTWORKING

Click to enlarge.

We’re doing this “Flip a District” campaign in Minnesota, and the whole reason we were inspired to do it was because we saw that Congress has an approval rating of 8 percent, and yet over 90 percent of incumbents are returned to office. That’s insane.

Of course, a lot of that has to do with people themselves, they have to take some responsibility. People don’t even know there’s an election going on, they don’t even know who their representative is. They’re uniformed and apathetic, and that’s on them. But, in a way, you can’t blame them because the game is rigged.

Bill Maher is set to perform Sunday at 7 p.m. in the Palace Theatre.

This is part one of two of Bill Maher’s interview with The Lantern.

1. A survey of Ohio voters showed 70% overall support for a national popular vote for President.

By political affiliation, support for a national popular vote was 81% for a national popular vote among Democrats, 65% among Republicans, and 61% among Others.

By age, support for a national popular vote was 73% among 18-29 year olds, 60% among 30-45 year olds, 67% among 46-65 year olds, and 78% for those older than 65.

By gender, support for a national popular vote was 84% among women and 54% among men.

By 2016, The National Popular Vote bill could guarantee the majority of Electoral College votes, and thus the presidency, to the candidate who receives the most popular votes in the country, by replacing state winner-take-all laws for awarding electoral votes.

Every vote, everywhere, would be politically relevant and equal in presidential elections. No more distorting and divisive red and blue state maps of pre-determined outcomes. There would no longer be a handful of ‘battleground’ states where voters are overwhelmed with ads, while voters in 80% of the states that now are just ‘spectators’ are ignored after the conventions.

The bill would take effect when enacted by states with a majority of Electoral College votes—that is, enough to elect a President (270 of 538). The candidate receiving the most popular votes from all 50 states (and DC) would get all the 270+ electoral votes of the enacting states.

The presidential election system, using the 48 state winner-take-all method or district winner method of awarding electoral votes, that we have today was not designed, anticipated, or favored by the Founders. It is the product of decades of change precipitated by the emergence of political parties and enactment by 48 states of winner-take-all laws, not mentioned, much less endorsed, in the Constitution.

The bill uses the power given to each state by the Founders in the Constitution to change how they award their electoral votes for President. States can, and have, changed their method of awarding electoral votes over the years. Historically, major changes in the method of electing the President, including ending the requirement that only men who owned substantial property could vote and 48 current state-by-state winner-take-all laws, have come about by state legislative action.

In Gallup polls since 1944, only about 20% of the public has supported the current system of awarding all of a state’s electoral votes to the presidential candidate who receives the most votes in each separate state (with about 70% opposed and about 10% undecided).

Support for a national popular vote is strong among Republicans, Democrats, and Independent voters, as well as every demographic group in every state surveyed recently. In virtually every of the 39 states surveyed, overall support has been in the 70-80% range or higher. – in recent or past closely divided battleground states, in rural states, in small states, in Southern and border states, in big states, and in other states polled.
    Americans believe that the candidate who receives the most votes should win.

The bill has passed 33 state legislative chambers in 22 rural, small, medium, large, red, blue, and purple states with 250 electoral votes. The bill has been enacted by 11 jurisdictions with 165 electoral votes – 61% of the 270 necessary to go into effect.

NationalPopularVote
    Follow National Popular Vote on Facebook via NationalPopularVoteInc

2. Interesting how Maher insists “closing [the military detention facility in] Guantanamo Bay [Cuba] is the right thing to do.” Why? How? Where would HE keep unlawful combatant Islamists who want to kill us? His house? And that’s the rub, isn’t it? The Left insists Gitmo is an embarrassment and aids Islamist recruiting efforts, yet have no proof of this, it’s just mindless hyperbole. There is no good answer to closing it. Bringing unlawful combatants captured in the Global War on Terror to the United States makes no sense. According to the Geneva Conventions they may be released at the end of hostilities unless they are accused of a war crime. The detainee can REFUSE to be repatriated to his home country if he fears for his safety. Obama and Holder have made the Military Commissions Act of 2009 the most convoluted, complicated and weak set of laws ever in the history of armed conflict. Detainees accused of crimes now have virtually the SAME rights as an American citizen would enjoy in a federal court of law, which is the point I guess. Nearly 500 terrorists have been convicted in U.S. Federal courts since 9/11/01, yet there are only just over 300 convicted terrorists in federal prisons. Where are the other nearly 200 convicted terrorists, YOUR neighborhood? Gitmo is the finest military detention facility in the world, the Islamist equivalent is a PILE of HEADS. Until all islamists are dead or no longer have the means or will to kill us we must defend ourselves and have a safe and secure place to put those whom we capture or who surrender. Club Gitmo has seen 600+ detainees RELEASED, at a 29% recidivist rate; NONE have been executed, beheaded, hacked to death, blown up or dragged naked and lifeless through the streets, all things our enemy has either done to us or to our allies. Closing Guantanamo Bay and/or releasing enemies will not win the Global War on Terror. And if it won’t do that there is no reason to pursue it. Even if you did manage to close it you would need to recreate it somewhere else, which is pointless because you would not be able to duplicate the safety and security that exists at Gitmo.

3. I think that you are really smart & funny, too.

4. Dear Montgomery Granger.

How would you win a global war on terror? What we call a terrorist is not a uniform soldier. He has no general, no president to back, no rank and file structure. I’m still flabbergasted that Republicans have this notion that we can beat the war on terror the same way we beat the Nazis, with enough bombs. Terrorism is a method, therefore an idea. So by definition, a terrorist, is someone who uses fear to promote an agenda………………. No really, let that sink in. Using clever word play, I could call you a terrorist, simply because you aimlessly tried planting a fear seed into a readers mind, that a terrorist will now be living in the suburbs right beside them.
    You might as well have rattled some chains and said boo!
    The movie V for Vedeta, illustrates so many great points here, I would not know where to begin. But, my favorite line, is at the end when the hero says “….and IDEAS ARE BULLETPROOF!!”
    See, that whole concept sums up everything delusional about your thinking. You cannot bomb an idea. Especially when every time your fancy bomb kills someone’s friend, brother, sister, mother, distant cousin. You just (theoretically) killed one terrorist, and created 5 more. You mentioned that there is no direct evidence that Gitmo creates more terrorists. That seems like the kind of single dimensioned thinking that a person would ask a scientist to prove gravity exists, and demand something more tangible than watching an apple roll down the hill. “No! Show me something I can touch!!” You don’t need evidence to show that when photos are released of guards peeing on a Koran, doggie gagging and humiliating someone, and then having infinite detention without being formally charged of a crime, that somewhere, someone, will look at it and go..”that does it!” Let me dumb it down for you. If you give people a very personal reason to hate America, your going to end up with a few violent terrorists. We Americans are viewed as the biggest hypocrites in the world. Case in point, Vietnam and Iraq 1-2. We condemned Saddam Hussein for using and then owning (which we never found 🙂 ) chemical weapons. Even tho the CIA put him into power in the first place…(doesn’t history suck when it’s a beautiful way to disprove everything you say??)
    Ok so chem weapons. Step one, open a new tab or window and go to this magical site called Google.
    Step two, type in Agent Orange
    Step 3, hit enter
    Step 4, read the first 5 articles.
    Step 6, see the Irony.
    Perhaps you have forgotten….but the World hasn’t.
    You have no issue portraying a Islamic militant as barbaric, because he hacks a perceived enemy to death with a machete. Let me paint something for you. Assuming you don’t have a Abraham tank in your backyard with shells, oil, gas, and they keys, how would you kill an invading force when resources are scarce? Just a crazy thought here, if I cannot just call up my nearest army, and request 10,000 AK clips, have them delivered tomorrow, maybe I’ll do my best to conserve some ammo. All while we drop bombs worth 3 college tuitions each like candy. You really underestimate how clever a “terrorist” really is. I’ll explain why.
    Your facing the worlds and history’s largest and most powerful army Ever.
    You have 0 chance. EVER. Of beating them in a standup fight.
    The technology and force your facing is so advanced, even gurrila hit-and-run tactics cannot put a serious dent in supply chains, personel, or size of force.
    How do you beat them?
    Bankrupt them……… Make them fear you so much, they spend every dollar they have trying to cover their ass. Hit them in so many spots, they stretch themselves thin.
    An article in the news, that shows Americans gave up another civil liberty, another school was closed, another riot from poverty, is three times the real victory as a successful IED.

5. So you’re fine with incarceration in perpetuity, without conviction or representation? Some of those still held at Guantanamo have been CLEARED FOR RELEASE, but are still stuck there. How can you expect anyone — ANYONE — to believe any of the “hyberbole” about freedom and democracy that this country loves to spout, when we’re essentially running a concentration camp that completely flouts international and domestic law? Do you know for sure that everyone at Gitmo is a “terrorist” (and what a convenient, vague label — one that you just love to throw around don’t you). No, you don’t, because they have never been tried in a court of law, a legal system with checks and balances being what separates a decent, free society from the kind of world that you profess to hate so much. You cannot take the high moral ground while still engaging in immoral activities when it’s expedient to do so.

6. Ralston Carruthers 3rd

As a Canadian I am perhaps not allowed an opinion in your polarized country, but here’s one anyway. The rest of the world,I think, sees your 50 year demonization of Cuba as totally retarded. These folks, despite your stranglehold,are sending myriad doctors to Africa to combat Ebola,as you debate the efficacy of Guantanomo’s opening or closing ….as if it were just another Walmart who’s opening hours would fuck-up yet another nice community. Guantanamo is IN CUBA. Why don’t you just get the hell out of their tiny country…they seem to have a far better idea of how to make this world a place worth living in than the Kock Brothers and their evil ilk.

7. And YOU, Granger … insist that Gitmo is filled with ” unlawful combatant Islamists who want to kill us.” yet you have no proof of this.

I can offer what would seem to be proof that the exact opposite is probably true. No convictions and not even any more trials. Someone has to be charged with a crime before they can be put on trial. And they have to be found guilty of a crime before they’re sentenced. We have NONE OF THE ABOVE happening at Gitmo anymore. That indicates that nobody has even enough evidence to get on with step #1. Which would be to bring a prisoner up on a charge of breaking SOME KIND of a law.

Yet here you are Granger …. absolutely certain that they’re all guilty and projecting your complete lack of evidence onto “the left”
    Oooooh “the left”! How skeeeery!

You are obviously a pathetic, frightened little man Granger.
    Go suck your rifle.

8. Bill Maher is more informed than anyone in the media about US politics and can still make you laugh while you think. Unique quality. We need more of his kind in office!

9. M. Granger — What do we do with all of the prisoners being held captive at Guantanamo Bay? Gee, I don’t know, do what we’ve always done with people being held captive: PUT THEM ON TRIAL!!!!! Give them the opportunity that we set aside for anyone in this country accused of a crime: the right to a trial, as guaranteed by the Constitution, you idiot!! The United States was never supposed to be the kind of nation that would just lock someone in jail and throw away the key. Everybody deserves their day in court, moron.

10. Ok Montgomery, let me run down the (actual) reason why we need to close Guantanamo. For starters disregard all of the nonsense the right wing political machine is feeding you, or anything you would hear from the other side, but I have the feeling you dont listen to too much from the other side…

For starters you need to acknowledge the right’s never ending quest to make the president (and every democrat) look weak or somewhat feminine, never mind that its not supported by fact in any way. Its page 1 in the republican playbook and one little note, i am NOT a democrat, or a particularly big fan of the president.

#1 “Interesting how Maher insists “closing [the military detention facility in] Guantanamo Bay [Cuba] is the right thing to do.” Why? How? Where would HE keep unlawful combatant Islamists who want to kill us? His house?”, “The Left insists Gitmo is an embarrassment and aids Islamist recruiting efforts, yet have no proof of this, it’s just mindless hyperbole.” – This is one of the weakest/short sighted arguments the right employs. For starters there is plenty of “proof” that gitmo helps our enemies recruiting and it being an eembarrassment isn’t really up for debate, its just common knowledge. If you need “proof” ask youself this “are there more terrorist today than there was before we started using gitmo in the current capacity?”. But who knows, maybe we need to more aggressively disregard basic human rights and everything we once promoted throughout the world to get people on our side. I particularly enjoy the whole “where would he keep them, your house?” That’s page 2 of the republican playbook, where they substitute reason and fact with the (obvious) promotion of fear and confusion. Its quite ridiculous that people living in the imprisonment capital of the world question our capability to incarcerate. Its not as if this is something we haven’t delt with before. The post WW2 war crimes trials seemed to serve us well then, but im sure youre going to say “we didn’t bring them here though” but saying that, along with your previos comments, implies that you honestly believe that if one of the accused was acquitted we would just let them walk out of jail on to our streets. That would be comical if it weren’t so sad that people are that easily misled. You asked at one point where the 300 unconvicted detainees where, and i guess you missed it but your questions answered itself, you ask “where are they, your backyard?” When the real question is, where are all of the terrorists attacks? I would think 300 jihadist running free on our streets would have done some real damage, or maybe the right just has their heads so far up there ass’s that they forgot what common sense looks like. Also your suggestion that Guantanamo bay is the only “safe and secure” place on earth would indicate to any semi-intelligent person that you clearly have no idea what you’re talking about.
    I will agree with you that the Islamic equivalent is a pile of heads, and it seems that you and all the other senior citizens who shit there pants every time fox “i cant believe its not news” comes on believe that we need to be on the same moral level as them, or at the very least, your side seems to think we just need to do more of the same short sighted policies that have led us to this point. Seems logical…

We cant stand on the moral high ground and try to sell our brand of democracy if we’re not willing to live up to those ideas. I personally don’t care what happens to any of these people. If i thought it would do us any good i would throw the switch myself but what we have been doing as far as the war on terror, doesn’t work and that is just the obvious truth. If these people are so guilty then we should have no problem convicting them in a court of law, exactly what we would do to anyone of our enemies (not from the middle east) I know that bashing obama for every problem in the world is the new aAmerican pastime but we all need to put politics further aside when dealing with important issues and start letting logic and common sense dictate how we proceed, rather than the fear peddlers on TV.

11. And you need to open a history book before you spout off whatever kind of narrow minded ridiculous nonsense mr lLimbaugh told you while you where driving to work…

12. keith cruz USAFVeteran

Okay so gitmo has strong arguments on both sides but lets get to the core of what Mr. Maher is getting at, the republican party blocking any and all bills that they feel could boost the presidents approval rating. The republicans could give a rats azz if a bill would benefit the average American and it makes me sick/angry/sad/disgusted. Does not a citizens well-being and happiness mean anything to these pukes. The republicans opposition to Obama care has been furious. Are they so against every citizen having health care. Does not any human being have the right to heal and live. I would like the senate to go one year with-out health coverage or access to any health care except an emergency room and see how they like it. When are these out-of-touch/republican pukes going to put the common U.S. man/woman/citizen’s well-being and health at the top of their agenda.

13. You need to do some research on Gitmo. The men that are being held there need to be tried or released. There is no moral or legal reasons that this should not be done. How long do you hold someone for without a trail? There is a reason why these men have not be tried, they have no evidence against them. Would you approve of American citizens being treated on this fashion?

14. I wish I had a specific count for you but I don’t have the time…Google it..however,many,many commanders,generals,CIA chiefs have been on countless talk shows,written Op-Eds in the Post,The Times,National Review detailing the problems with keeping GITMO open.It’s not just “lefties”. Wyoming,Colorado,Pennsylvania,Georgia and California have the highest number of super max facilties where the worst of worst are housed.That’s where they should go.Just like any other violent criminal. When someone who has spent their lives studying and acting on the stage of international law,counter terrorism,our military and intelligence services says GITMO is a problem and obstacle to their efforts,I listen.

15. @Montgomery Granger: the reason Gitmo should be closed is rather simple – none of those people should be there.
    As you correctly pointed out, all POWs are supposed to be realized at the end of war, unless charged with war crimes.
    This is where we encounter the fundamental problem with Gitmo – none of the men in there have been charged with war crimes.
    All the people in Gitmo should either be charged with crimes of war and tried in court, or released as POWs. Instead they sit there in Gitmo, slowly rotting away, while the tax payers money goes to keep it open.

So to answer your question as to what to do with the people in Gitmo – since our current course of action is technically in violation of the Geneva Convention, we should either (finally) charge them with war crimes and try them, or release them to their respective nations.

16. Where would I want dangerous terrorists to be kept? How about a Colorado supermax? The Unabomber and the Blind Sheik never escaped. In fact, no one ever has from there.

Really? You think the only alternative to keeping people imprisoned without due process away from American soil is to let them go free on your picket fence lawn? Just in case you haven’t heard: The US imprisons more people, both in total and per capita than any other country on Earth.

You have figured out lots of ways to lock up lots of people long ago in the “Land of the Free.”

17. Montgomery Granger, have ever asked yourself why they are so mad as to blow themselves up just to kill a few Americans? Watch the documentary “Dirty Wars” and that is just the little bit of what we know the US government does. Over 13 years, only 500 terrorist were found in the US and detained, that is such a small amount compared to the thousands of thousands of “evil doers” the US KILLED in Iraq and Afghanistan. If it was a real war, the belligerents would have around equal firepower and equal manpower. haha, the “best country in the world” can’t even beat a couple thousand guys in robes running around in the desert.. If you stop bombing them, and killing them, maybe they will do the same, because the US was bombing the Middle East long before they started bombing you. Shouldn’t the western world be more civilized and ask, “do what Jesus would do”? Shouldn’t we try and provide real help to these countries?

18. Unfortunately, R controlled legislatures are moving away from the electoral college, but in the WRONG direction. They want to award electoral college votes based on congressional districts. Yes, the same congressional districts that they gerrymandered. This would make it much less likely that the winer of the popular vote would become president, which is exactly the outcome that these thugs seek.

19. @Montgomery Granger:

“Until all islamists are dead or no longer have the means or will to kill us we must defend ourselves and have a safe and secure place to put those whom we capture or who surrender. ”

“Until all islamists are dead or no longer have the means or will to kill us…”
    “Until all islamists are dead”
    “Until all islamists”
    “islamists”
    “ISLAMISTS”

…boy it’s a good thing that “islamists” are all in uniform and are an identifiable faction and aren’t actually a massively complicated spectrum of civilian sympathizers, insurgents, and an overarching, disorganized resentment of the west! Otherwise, lumping every muslim dissenter against America into a laughably stupid politically incorrect “-ist” would sound REALLY ignorant!

20. Gitmo is WORTHLESS. Unless you want to violate the Geneva Convention, and mass breed a new level of extreme personal hate within people who we not only invaded, but then illegally put into detention on foreign soil indefinitely. This is what you call a complete loss of moral integrity and high ground Montgomery, regardless of our methods being perceived as benign in comparison to ISIS beheadings.

Which brings up the reality that our invasions, and continued irritant in the form of Gitmo, is more likely generating more hate worldwide, than safety domestic. Even worse, it’s sowing the seeds of undying anger within Muslim youth, along with our wildly out of line drone program.

Why can’t Conservative minds grip this simple truth? And why is it still ok for the United States to violate treaties we signed in good moral faith until George W Bush’s presidency? Put these Muslim prisoners to death under military tribunal or prosecute them domestically as enemy combatants, but make it legal and take back the moral high ground. The GOP’s lack of any ethical behavior regarding this, whatsoever, is so pathological it’s frightening, let’s just hope Bill Maher is right about all you Faux News droolers dying off, can’t wait until then!

21. Republican legislators who want to split state electoral votes in states that have recently voted Democratic in presidential elections, do not want to split electoral votes in states that recently voted Republican in presidential elections.

Instead, By 2016, The National Popular Vote bill could guarantee the majority of Electoral College votes, and thus the presidency, to the candidate who receives the most popular votes in the country, by replacing state winner-take-all laws for awarding electoral votes.

NationalPopularVote

22. @Montgomery Granger: you embarrass true Americans.

23. Minnesota voters smacked Maher right in his vulgar kisser yesterday despite all his hating on John Kline.

24. The American voter has repeatedly shown a delusional, childlike refusal to face facts or correlate their voting with the policies of the people they elect.
    If the American middle class wants to commit political suicide then they deserve whatever results follow.

25. Once again, the American people have patriotically voted against their own best interests. Those that even bothered to vote, that is.

26. Senator Saunders alluded to a way to remove Money from politics

How do we find out more and how?