DareDevil Dogs’  ‘Fire Eater’ hotdog is a butterfried vegan or chicken dog topped with Sriracha-orange buffalo sauce, shredded celery, red onion and blue cheese aioli.  Credit: Megan Buskirk / Lantern reporter

DareDevil Dogs’ ‘Fire Eater’ hotdog is a butterfried vegan or chicken dog topped with Sriracha-orange buffalo sauce, shredded celery, red onion and blue cheese aioli.
Credit: Megan Buskirk / Lantern reporter

It’s a small restaurant, but DareDevil Dogs made a big impact Friday with its grand opening just south of campus.

When I say small, I mean it. The hot dog joint’s dining room has a total of 12 seats, all lining the walls of the restaurant. In months leading up to the opening, co-owner Tomos Mughan said he and his partners were aiming to bring a vintage feel to the 1437 N. High St. location — and I believe they did just that. The exposed brick and raw metal materials on the walls go hand-in-hand with the restaurant’s “be daring” concept. 

It was bustling with eager customers. With the amount of foot traffic and limited seating at DareDevil, many made their way to the adjoining bar, Village Idiot, to enjoy drinks and entertainment. 

“It went really, really well,” co-owner Bill Garland said of opening day. “But we’re going to play with the menu to give us more appeal to some of the students that are cost conscious.” 

Village Idiot owner Scott McCrary had nothing but positive things to say about the opening.

“Friday was phenomenal,” he said. “The bar hasn’t been that busy during happy hour since Commonwealth Sandwich Bar.”

Commonwealth Sandwich Bar previously occupied DareDevil Dogs’ location from 2011 to 2013.

DareDevil Dogs will be running specials Sundays and Wednesdays in the next couple of weeks, Garland said.

As a vegetarian, I was especially excited to try a meatless hot dog options. I ordered one of the specialty dogs, the “Fire Eater.” This tasty creation consists of a butterfried vegan dog — or chicken brat — covered in Sriracha-orange buffalo sauce, topped with shredded celery, red onion and blue cheese aioli on a seeded challah bun ($6.50).

Click to enlarge.

Click to enlarge.

It was delicious. While it seems a bit pricey for a hot dog, it was a thoroughly enjoyable dinner. From ordering at the counter to our food being brought to us, it was a comfortable, laid back experience.

My dinner date and fiancé, Nick Pfau, agreed.

He ordered the “Sky Diver” — an all-beef hot dog with baked beans, house slaw, bacon aioli and white cheddar.

“It was absolutely worth the price,” he laughed. “I regret not ordering more.”

Sweet potato tots, baked beans and redskin mashed potatoes are some of the side dishes available, priced at $3 for a small serving and $5 for a large.

A delivery system, mainly catering to the Short North and Ohio State, is set to begin in January.

DareDevil Dogs will be open from 11 a.m. to 10 p.m. Mondays through Thursdays, 11 a.m. to 3:30 a.m. on Fridays, noon to 3:30 a.m. on Saturdays and 4-10 p.m. on Sundays.