Home » Campus » Sexual assault reported in South Campus residence hall

Sexual assault reported in South Campus residence hall

A sexual assault reported in a South Campus residence hall Monday afternoon prompted University Police to issue a public safety notice.

The incident was reported at 3 p.m. Monday by a female Ohio State student. It had occurred at midnight, according to the notice.

The suspect had been invited to the residence hall by the woman after they met earlier that evening, the notice said. He was identified as a fellow OSU student — a 19-year-old man standing at 6 feet tall and weighing about 145 pounds.

The investigation is open and ongoing, according to the notice.

Public safety notices are typically issued via email, however, an email sent Monday showed up as a blank file for some students.

The notice said responsibility for sexual assault lies with the perpetrator and added that no one asks for or deserves sexual assault.

About two-thirds of rapes are committed by someone known to the victim, according to the Rape, Abuse and Incest National Network website. OSU provides services for victims of sexual assault that include counseling, advocacy, wellness and health services through Student Life.

1. I believe Drake said these assaults have all been caused by the band’s culture. OSU should really reconsider even having a marching band if their culture’s impact is so prevalent throughout campus and affecting the entire student body.

2. The way these incidents are handled is very hard to understand.

1.) The police apparently aren’t even reasonably sure a rape was committed. If they were, they’d arrest the guy, whose identity I assume they know, or else how would they know he is a student. If they didn’t know his exact identity but wanted to arrest him, then why not give a more helpful description (race, hair, complexion, etc.)?

2.) I too got the alert, but it was blank. How can they do that? And having done it, why didn’t they very promptly send a correction with details, so everybody isn’t hanging in limbo wondering what the urgent issue is, i.e. whether a shooter was loose on the campus.

This is all yet more evidence of a dysfunctional police department on campus, and that is a very serious issue with short- and long-term implications for the university.

3. It’s obvious that this was NOT a situation for which to alarm the entire OSU campus.
    Too many of these “alarms” – blank or not – and people will stop paying attention.
    There used to be a time where you could be assured of safety and privacy in OSU dorms.
    I’d hate to be the roommate of someone who brings a visitor to spend the night with her.
    A little bit of common sense would mandate that students who bring visitors to a dorm have to fill out paperwork indicating the name and contact information of the visitor and that they have consent of all the roommates to bring such visitor