Nebraska Cornhuskers offensive lineman Jake Cotton (68) picks up Nebraska Cornhuskers quarterback Tommy Armstrong Jr. (4) after scoring a touchdown against Northwestern during the first quarter at Ryan Field Oct. 18, 2014, in Evanston, Ill. (Armando L. Sanchez/Chicago Tribune/MCT)

Two days removed from winning its eighth National Championship, the Ohio State football team announced that Tim Beck will be the co-offensive coordinator and quarterbacks coach.

Beck spent the past four years as the offensive coordinator at Nebraska and brings a similar style that will allow the Buckeyes to remain on a similar track they were on with Tom Herman.

This was a great hire for the Buckeyes because Urban Meyer and offensive coordinator Ed Warinner are familiar with him and have coached with and against him in the past.

Beck and Warinner were on the staff at Kansas that went 12-1 and won an Orange Bowl in 2007.

Not only will Beck gel with the other coaches, but he also has coached similar quarterbacks to the ones he might have on his depth chart in senior Braxton Miller (4,133 passing yards, 2,339 rushing, 2012 and 2013), redshirt-freshman J.T. Barrett (2,834 passing, 938 rushing) and redshirt-sophomore Cardale Jones, who racked up more than 1,000 yards of total offense in just three starts.

What Beck will also have is a quality receiving corps to spread the ball around. The Buckeyes have gotten better each season on the outside and have relied more on the play of their athletes instead of putting the entire offense on the quarterback’s shoulders.

During his time at Nebraska, Beck was a two-time finalist for the Broyles Award, which honors the nation’s top assistant coach, in 2012 and 2013, as well as coaching Taylor Martinez, who was the voted All-Big Ten coaches’ choice at quarterback in 2012.

Martinez (2,871 passing, 1,019 rushing yards in 2012) and Nebraska junior quarterback Tommy Armstrong have posted similar numbers when it comes to the balance of a passing and rushing attack, much like Miller.

This past season, Armstrong put up close to 2,700 yards through the air and added another 705 yards on the ground.

Herman’s signal calling resulted in 672 points and 90 touchdowns in 2014, Big Ten records, as well as 4,321 rushing yards set in 2013. School records achieved during the 2014 season included passing yards (3,707) and passing touchdowns (42).

Beck’s players broke more than 50 individual records, including career passing marks in yards, completions and touchdowns, as well as career yards from scrimmage and career total offense.

Four Nebraska quarterbacks have surpassed 3,000 yards of total offense in a single season and Beck has coached two of them.

From 2011-14, Beck’s passing offense at Nebraska totaled more than 10,000 yards and 86 touchdowns. Two of the top six single season school passing totals were achieved under Beck.

His first order of business will be to evaluate who he believes should be the starter next season under center.

With Jones set to return to OSU, Miller having the option to basically transfer wherever he wants and Barrett, who finished fifth in the Heisman voting, it’s unclear who Beck will have to choose from.

Miller (shoulder) and Barrett (ankle) most likely won’t be full go when spring practice rolls around because of injury, so it would seem as though Jones would be the easy pick to start with.

Getting someone on staff who is familiar with the style of play and can work with similar quarterback types as in the past is key.

So many teams, such as the Cleveland Browns, continue to change quarterbacks and coaches every year and each bring in their own scheme they want men to relearn. Making an easy transition for these experienced quarterbacks will play a major role in the team’s success next year, which should be nothing short than another playoff run.