Credit: McKenzie Merriman / Lantern reporter

Columbus will not host the Democratic National Convention in 2016.

The U.S. Democratic Party announced Thursday that it has instead selected Philadelphia to host its national nominating convention during the week of July 25, 2016.

“In addition to their commitment to a seamless and safe convention, Philadelphia’s deep-rooted place in American history provides a perfect setting for this special gathering,” DNC chair representative Debbie Wasserman Shultz said in a statement on the DNC website.

Natalie Davis, vice president of Ohio State College Democrats and a third-year in public affairs, said the organization is still hopeful for the upcoming election, even though Columbus will not be the host city for the national convention.

“I think that as an organization, we are disappointed, but we are going to work hard and think Ohio will carry the nominee to victory,” Davis said.

The Columbus 2016 Host Committee praised the efforts of Columbus in a statement on its website.

“Although we were not successful in securing the 2016 DNC Convention this time, we know that there are great and mighty things in store for this phenomenal city,” the statement says. “The passion and support for Columbus’ bid has been exceptional, and our city has so much to celebrate … Thank you. Our united community is what made us get as far as we did. And we will go on to accomplish more great things.”

Columbus was announced as one of the final three cities for the event in November, along with Philadelphia and New York.

Cleveland was selected in July to host the 2016 Republican National Convention, scheduled for the week of July 18.