Freshman guard D'Angelo Russell reacts after a play against Maryland on Jan. 29 at the Schottenstein Center. OSU won, 80-56. Credit: Samantha Hollingshead / Lantern photographer

Freshman guard D’Angelo Russell reacts after a play against Maryland on Jan. 29 at the Schottenstein Center. OSU won, 80-56. Credit: Samantha Hollingshead / Lantern photographer

The No. 20 Ohio State men’s basketball team started the night one man short, and ended up short on the scoreboard.

The Buckeyes (17-6, 6-4) fell to the Purdue Boilermakers (15-8, 7-3), 60-58, on the road Wednesday night without sophomore forward Marc Loving, who did not make the trip to West Lafayette, Ind., because he has been suspended indefinitely.

Loving’s absence showed throughout the game as the Buckeyes opened shooting 0-of-4 from long range and finished 4-of-15. Before the game, Loving was the Big Ten leader in three-point shooting percentage with a 53.2 conversion rate from long range.

OSU committed eight fouls in the first frame, leading to the Boilermakers shooting a perfect 8-of-8 from the charity stripe. The Buckeyes attempted just one free throw in the first half.

Coming out of the locker room, the Boilermakers went on a 9-2 run to extend their lead to eight.

The Buckeyes battled back to take the lead, 44-42, with 8:47 to play, but the Boilermakers answered with a 10-0 run to what seemed to seal the game for Purdue.

The Buckeyes would get within one point with 6.4 seconds remaining on the clock, but Purdue hit one-of-two free throws as freshman guard D’Angelo Russell missed a 3-point shot at the buzzer to end the game.

OSU sent the Boilermakers to the line throughout the game, putting Purdue into the bonus with just more than 10 minutes remaining to play.

Purdue converted 19-of-27 free throws while OSU attempted just nine making six.

Purdue’s seven-foot center A.J. Hammons made it difficult for the Buckeyes to do much inside as he recorded seven blocks on the night to go along with seven points.

Russell kept the Buckeyes’ pace in the first half taking 10 of OSU’s 28 shots, converting on five, leading to 10 points. He also led the Buckeyes in rebounds with four and tied for the lead in team assists at halftime with two.

He finished the game with 20 points, seven rebounds and five assists, all team-highs.

Purdue was led by junior guard Rapheal Davis, who scored 20 points to go along with six rebounds.

The Buckeyes are set to return to action Sunday in Piscataway, N.J., against Rutgers. Tip is set for 5:30 p.m.