Sophomore midfielder Morgan Kile (8) battles for the ball in a game against Saint Louis on Aug. 28 at Buckeye Varsity Field. OSU won the season opener 5-0. Credit: Kevin Stankiewicz / Asst. Sports Editor

Sophomore midfielder Morgan Kile (8) battles for the ball in a game against Saint Louis on Aug. 28 at Buckeye Varsity Field. OSU won the season opener 5-0.
Credit: Kevin Stankiewicz / Asst. Sports Editor

The Ohio State field hockey team brought home its second Big Ten win of the season Sunday afternoon on the road against Penn State, 2-1.

Sophomore midfielder and Mountain Top, Pennsylvania, native Morgan Kile won the game when she scored her first goal of the season nine minutes into the double-overtime period off a fast break. In addition to scoring, Kile has tallied up three assists on the year for the Buckeyes, who now sit at 6-3 overall and 2-0 for Big Ten games.  

OSU’s first goal of the game was scored by junior forward Brooke Hiltz nine minutes into the second half, which tied the score 1-1.

Looking back, October 2011 was the last time the Buckeyes defeated Penn State (4-5, 1-2). With its first two conference games ending in wins, OSU is having its most successful start in the Big Ten since 2010.

The first half of the game was mostly controlled by an offensively driven Penn State, with 14 shots and nine penalty corners in its favor. The Nittany Lions scored the first goal of the game 23 minutes in when junior forward/midfielder Brooke Birosik shot successfully off a penalty stroke.

OSU’s defense, including sophomore goalie Liz Tamburro and her 11 saves, kept Penn State from advancing anymore on the scoreboard. Freshman back Hannah Pany and sophomore midfielder/back Carolina Vergroesen also assisted the defense with one save each.

The score was tied in the 47th minute thanks to Hiltz’s goal shot from the short left side with an assist from freshman midfielder/forward Casey Cole. Despite the Buckeyes’ five shots, the offense was unable to score again, bringing the game into overtime.

During the first overtime period, Penn State generated two shots, but the game swayed in OSU’s favor during the second. Including Kile’s game-winning goal, the Buckeyes had four total shots and took home the win with a final score of 2-1.

The Buckeyes are set to return to the home field when they face off against Maryland on Friday at 3:30 p.m. at Buckeye Varsity Field.