An early morning assault and robbery that occurred on campus Sunday has spurred a public safety notice from University Police.

An Ohio State student reported he was walking with a friend on campus near the corner of West 11th Avenue and College Road at approximately 1:50 a.m. on Sunday when the pair was approached by four suspects, according to an emailed public safety notice sent to members of the OSU community. One of the suspects asked to borrow the student’s cell phone and, when he refused, struck him on the head and knocked him to the ground.

A second suspect took the student’s cell phone and then the group fled eastbound on West 11th Avenue, the email stated. The victim sustained minor injuries.

Approximately 10 minutes later, the group of suspects was seen driving an older model navy blue SUV with elevated suspension, which the email stated could possibly have been a Ford Explorer.

The suspects were all described as black males, approximately 18 years old, the email stated. One suspect was described as having a “thin build” and standing 6 feet tall. At the time of the assault and robbery, he was wearing a white T-shirt and blue jeans, and he had dreadlocks. A second suspect was also described as having a thin build and standing around 6 feet tall. He was wearing a red T-shirt and blue jean shorts.

Anyone with information regarding this crime is encouraged to call OSU Police at 614-292-2121, the email stated. Anonymous tips can also be reported to the Central Ohio Crime Stoppers at 614-461-TIPS and University Crime Stoppers at 614-247-TIPS.