OSU Sophomore forward Marcus McCrary (19) dribbles the ball as Binghamton junior back Zach Galluzzo (4) pursues during an August 30. match at Jesse Owens Memorial Stadium. OSU lost 1-0. Photo Credit: Muyao Shen / Assist. Photo Editor

The Ohio State men’s soccer team fell to 1-4-0 overall on the season and 0-1-0 in Big Ten play in its 2-1 loss against Northwestern (1-2-1) on Friday night at Toyota Park in Bridgeview, Illinois.

After winning its opening game of the season on Aug. 28, the Buckeyes have dropped four in a row as they were outplayed by the Wildcats early on Friday.

Northwestern senior forward Joey Calistri scored the first goal of the game in the 17th minute to put the Wildcats up 1-0.

Despite being down a point, OSU continued to battle against NU. In the first half of the game, multiple Buckeyes came close to scoring the tying goal.

OSU freshman midfielder Greg Solawa attempted a shot from 25 yards out just one minute before NU scored, but his attempt was prevented by the crossbar. Redshirt senior forward Kenny Cunningham later scored a goal, but it was denied when the offsides flag was waved. Sophomore forward Marcus McCrary kicked a shot in the 41st minute, but NU senior goalkeeper Zak Allen made a save to prevent the Buckeyes from putting any points on the board.

In the second half, the Wildcats extended their lead to 2-0 after Calistri scored another goal in the 61st minute. However, the Buckeyes were able to show some resilience after that, fighting to score their first goal since the opening victory.

The Scarlet and Gray finally got on the scoreboard on an own goal by NU following a corner kick. OSU junior forward Danny Jensen attempted one final shot to tie the game in the 86th minute, but he was unable to execute, sending the Wildcats to their first win of the year.

OSU senior goalkeeper Chris Froschauer is now 1-4 on the season after making three saves.

The Buckeyes are scheduled to complete their so-far-winless four-game road trip with a visit to Akron to face the Akron Zips on Wednesday at 7 p.m.