OSU then-junior defenseman Cara Zubko (2) passes the puck during a game against Minnesota on Nov. 15 at the OSU Ice Rink. OSU lost, 5-3. Credit: Ed Momot / For The Lantern

In search of points to climb up the standings in the Western Collegiate Hockey Association, the Ohio State women’s ice hockey team instead fell further back of the pack, losing two games at St. Cloud State over the weekend to drop its record to 5-9-0.

On Friday, the Buckeyes lost 3-2 despite outshooting the Huskies 26-18. Junior forward Claudia Kepler and her linemate, senior Kendall Curtis, scored in the first and third periods, respectively.

On Saturday, the Buckeyes lost 4-1 to complete the St. Cloud State sweep. Senior defender Cara Zubko scored on the power play for OSU’s only tally of the night.  

Only one of the combined five goals scored was at even-strength. The Huskies recorded power-play goals on three of their five man-advantages.

Redshirt freshman netminder Alex LaMere started both games for the Buckeyes, allowing six goals.  She has now started seven straight games in goal for OSU.

Stat sheet

With an assist on Saturday, Kepler has now recorded a point in four of the Buckeyes’ last five games.

With a goal on Saturday, Zubko now has nine points in her final season as a Buckeye, eclipsing her previous high of seven points set in her sophomore season. Her four goals so far in 2015-16 lead all OSU defenders and is fourth-highest overall on the team.

The Buckeyes will reconvene in Columbus for practice and spend Thanksgiving on the road.  They are scheduled to travel to Burlington, Vermont, to participate in the inaugural Windjammer Classic, hosted by the University of Vermont. They are slated to drop the puck against Vermont at 4 p.m. on Friday and Boston University at 1 p.m. on Saturday.