OSU redshirt junior safety Tyvis Powell celebrates the Buckeyes' 44-28 win in the Fiesta Bowl on Jan. 1. Credit: Samantha Hollinshead | Photo Editor

OSU redshirt junior safety Tyvis Powell celebrates the Buckeyes’ 44-28 win in the Fiesta Bowl on Jan. 1. Credit: Samantha Hollinshead | Photo Editor

The storm of Ohio State underclassmen leaving for the NFL draft continues to pick up steam.

On Saturday night, redshirt sophomore linebacker Darron Lee announced his intentions to turn pro, joining Cardale Jones, Joey Bosa and Ezekiel Elliott.

Now, just two days after OSU topped Notre Dame 44-28 in the Fiesta Bowl, redshirt junior safety Tyvis Powell is joining them.

In a screenshot posted to his personal Twitter account Sunday morning, Powell announced his decision to surrender his final year of eligibility to head to the NFL.

“First off,” the Bedford, Ohio, native wrote, “I want to thank God for blessing me with the ability to have a decision on whether or not I should go to the next level.

“With that being said, after deep prayer and consulting with my family, I will be forgoing my final year of eligibility at The Ohio State University.”

Powell, who has already graduated with a degree in marketing and won a national championship, wrote that he has “accomplished almost every one” of the dreams he had after committing.

Initially recruited to Columbus by Jim Tressel, Powell blossomed over his four years as a Buckeye, both on the field and off it.

His exuberant, fun-loving personality matched with his football ability made him a favorite amongst members of the team and fans.  

“I came as a young boy with a dream,” Powell wrote, “but (I‘m) now leaving as a grown man with a dream. I really enjoyed the four seasons I’ve been at OSU. I have built a very special bond with my teammates that I will cherish forever.”

Powell registered five tackles and an interception in Friday’s Fiesta Bowl. He nearly had another pick, but a targeting penalty on Bosa in the first quarter negated it.

In his three seasons on the turf, the 6-foot-3 Powell accumulated 195 tackles and eight interceptions.

The list of OSU underclassmen leaving for the NFL now sits at five, and others, such as wide receiver Michael Thomas and safety Vonn Bell, are widely expected to bolt for the next level.

Underclassmen wishing to declare have until Jan. 18 to do so. The 2016 NFL draft is slated to begin April 28 and last through April 30.