From left to right: Acting Chief Craig Stone, Officer Chris Dzubak, Kyle Yeager, Bruce Allen, and Captain Dave Rose after the badges had been pinned. Credit: Courtesy of Dan Mackey

The Ohio State University Police held a badge pinning ceremony for Kyle Yeager, Chris Dzubak and Bruce Allen, the recently sworn-in officers who joined the force on Feb. 10.

The service, which was held on Friday, marks the end of the officers’ classroom training, Acting Police Chief Craig Stone said during the ceremony.

Family and friends of the officers were present at the ceremony and were invited to pin the badges to the officers’ new uniforms.

When Yeager spoke at the ceremony, he credited his excitement to begin his new job to his undergraduate years at OSU.

“I never really had much contact with the police department, but I always knew they were in the background keeping us safe, and to be a part of that will be good,” he said after receiving his badge.

Todd Hunter, human resources director for administration and planning, congratulated the men on their accomplishments and said that University Police is very pleased to have them.

“After wading through 113 applications, a written test, a physical fitness test, numerous interviews, a background (check), a psychological (check), a polygraph (test), and a physical, we finally made an offer to three outstanding young men,” Hunter said.

Stone thanked police employees for their hard work and assistance in the selection process of the new officers.

“We have three top candidates, and we are excited about them starting,” he said.

Stone went on to explain that for the past three weeks, the new officers have been in classroom training. They will now begin scenario training and go out in the field for the next 14 weeks to practice what they have learned.

During this time, they will be assigned to patrol with another active officer to learn the day-to-day responsibilities of an officer, Stone said.

Yeager, Dzubak and Allen all said they were grateful for the opportunity to pursue their career in law enforcement at OSU.

“I’ve never really been on a big campus like this, but I’m excited for the challenges and experiences that come along with it,” Dzubak said.

Hunter said that University Police dates back to the 1800s and have been active on campus for more than 100 years.

“The division keeps getting better and better, and the quality of folks we bring in keep increasing,” Hunter said. “It’s a testament to our process and these guys.”